Honored Resident
stingnthetale

Anyone else having problems with second life on windows 8?

Hi folks,

I just installed windows 8 32 bit but SL and firestorm fails to start get a message about needing a new graphics card driver.

I have an ATI radion HD 4600 not yet 3 years old and installed the latest drivers but no good.

It does seem that AMD are treating the 2000, 3000 and 4000 series of these cards as legacy products and wont be making any more drivers for them.

I have tried windows 7 drivers but no good either.

Anyone else having problems running SL and firestorm viewer under windows 8?

Thanks for any help.

Sting

Ansariel Hiller

Re: Anyone else having problems with second life on windows 8?

Reply to stingnthetale - view message

Try these drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/catalystlegacywin8.aspx (AMD Catalyst™ Driver for the Radeon™ HD 4000, HD 3000 and HD 2000 Series on Windows® 8 )

If I ever find a smart and funny signature text, you will find it right here!
Honored Resident
stingnthetale

Thanks very much for that link. Managed to get Sl working with that driver but no the Firestorm viewer, which will open ok and log me in but freezes before a sim is loaded.

As regards the above driver it wont install just by clicking on the downloaded file. It has to be done by going to the device manager and updating from there, what I call a Force install....kinda approbiapte for SL...lol

Thanks again

Stingy

Honored Resident
miriminx

Reply to Ansariel Hiller - view message

Yea, I've been unable to run SL since I updated to Win8. Both Firestorm and the SL default viewer tell me to update my graphics drivers. I have a Gateway NV58 which isn't on Gateway's list to provide new drivers.

Honored Resident
Liffento Eldritch

Reply to miriminx - view message

Did you install the 64 bit or 32 bit OS of Windows 8?

The 32bit drivers is http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/306.97/306.97-notebook-win8-win7-winvista-32bit-international-...

The 64bit Drivers is http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/306.97/306.97-notebook-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-...

I found out what drivers you need by looking up the specs of your computer.

Honored Resident
Izzy Greymyst

my husband just got a new computer, Win8 64 bit, and is having trouble with Firestorm viewer.  He is getting all sorts of messages before he crashes.  Mostly due to drivers.  What is the solution?

Honored Resident
miriminx

Reply to Liffento Eldritch - view message

Intel 4 Series

Honored Resident
Liffento Eldritch

[ Edited ]

Reply to miriminx - view message

According to this http://support.gateway.com/s/notebook/2009/gateway/nv/nv58/NV58sp2.shtml it does have intel chipset but has an onboard GPU which is an nVidia GPU so the links I provided should work.

Hitomi Tiponi
Topics: 11

[ Edited ]

Before upgrading to Windows 8 it is wise to check that all the parts of your computer, gpu, touchpad etc. and attached devices e.g. printers have drivers available for Windows 8.  Also a quick google with the name of your machine and 'Windows 8 upgrade' usually finds out if there has been any issues that others have had.

Starlight - a brighter future for Viewer 3 and TPVs

Honored Resident
miriminx

Reply to Hitomi Tiponi - view message

So true.