rotating paddlewheel on steamboat

Pazzo Pestana

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4095 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'd like to have the paddlewheel on a steamboat (not a vehicle) rotate on it's local axis while linked to the steamboat. I've been plowing through the various posts and find a lot of options but my scripting ability is limited.  I find llTargetOmega, llSetRot ... etc. but am not sure how to link the child prim movement.  Here's the basic rotation script I'm using ...

{    

state_entry()    

{       

llTargetOmega(<0,-1,0>,0.2,1.0);    

}

}

All suggestions are welcome! thanks!

You are right about using llTargetOmega
Use it on the the child prim, the paddlewheel
If your paddlewheel is made of more prims you are in trouble, you can not make it spin AND link it

You have the options to make the wheel out of one prim and link it or make it of more prims and not link it
It is possible to make a complex paddlewheel in one sculpted prim or one mesh.

Another option is to animate the texture on the wheel and keep the prims fixed

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

Hey, thanks for the suggestions! I'm using a 1-prim sculpty made with prim oven and I discovered that the orientation of the root prim in the paddlewheel model before "baking" made a difference.  I linked the paddlewheel with the lltargetomega script to the steamboat and it's following along nicely rotating.

Just in time for the Mardi Gras Parade in New Toulouse on Feb 9th at noon!

Thanks, again!

Just for completeness, it's possible to keep the script in the root prim and use PRIM_OMEGA to manipulate the spin of child prims on the local axis.

(As long as I'm rambling on with superfluous information, I'll mention that the local axis isn't the prim's own axis (i.e., not the arrows in the Build tool with only the child prim selected), but rather that of the root prim in the linkset. This isn't true only of llTargetOmega, but it frequently arises in this context for child prims that both spin about their own axes and rotate with respect to the root--such as front wheels of vehicles--which paddlewheels don't do.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4095 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.