Am I wrong

TammyTgurl Umaga

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4780 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What I am making a is a hit box ,when a sword is worn it gets the objects name and uuid and sets the other prims llCollisionFilter("sword",(key) uuid,TRUE);

If I wear the hit box and place the sword on the ground and walk into it  all works fine,but if a AV wears the sword and strikes my hit box it dose not do the collisionfilter.. Any ideas? Is the only way it will log the collision and filter it is with ground objects and not something you wear?

You will almost certainly find the problem is with the definition of "strikes my hit box".  How do you know when someone hits you?  You see it on screen, right.  Which means that the other avatar is running an animation which makes them look like they're swinging the sword.  Unfortunately for everything else that's just SL playing an animation.  The avatar, and the sword, never move as far as the sim, scripts, etc. are concerned. So attachments don't collide, the avatar wearing them might, but not too reliably.

As Peter and Rollig have said, using collision events with a melee weapon like a sword isn't going to work.

The usual way to do it, as I understand it, is to fire off llSensor in the same control event you use to swing your sword.  If it detects your opponent is standing just in front of you, then you register a hit.

there's one other problem that hasn't been memtioned... attachments are phantom, that means they don't collide with anything themselves...

the avatar can collide, and those collisions will be passed to attachments, but the attachments themselves will never generate collisions.

option one was already mentioned, use a sensor to detect other avs in range of a strike. (not hit boxes, but actual avs).

option two rez an invisible 'bullet'... for melee that would be right in font of the av and fairly big... doesn't have to actually move and should die of quickly... if thatcollides with someone it sends a message and dies (optionally you can have the sensor read information from the collision as you meant to in the begining)

Void Singer wrote:

... attachments are phantom, that means they don't collide with anything themselves...

Yeah, I was trying to be gentle when I said "attachments don't collide, the avatar wearing them might, but not too reliably".

People - this is annoying! It sounds like the OP has done a lot of good work unfortunately based on the wrong idea of how SL worls.  I can't think of an easy salvage solution - it does come down to inter-avatar/attachment chat to decide who hit whom - but I feel I must be wrong in that.

Sympathies, if nothing else :-(

Innula Zenovka wrote:

is it reasonable (and/or correct) to infer that it might hit the main grid if and when mesh does?  And if we do get it, might that not provide another option?

you'd have to ask Kelly about the firs part I think... but it's a hope. the second part is yes... but I've learned it's best not to wait on possible abilities in SL unless those abilities have a release date.

PS
@Pete:
I should've said in my previous reply... I missed your initial statment because I was skimming =X

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4780 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.