Owner Closed Community... Now Everyone's Homeless & Moneyless!

Illuminatra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On April 7th, everyone in the community that I currently reside in received this notice from the prior owner:

Dear residents,

It is with a heavy heart that I am announcing that I am leaving SL.  Due to RL changes I am no longer able to to reside in SL.  WIth that said... no worries on the sim, cause I am happy to announce that (NAME OMITTED) has purchased the town and will be taking over from this point forward.  She is a wonderful friend and Im sure you will love her as much as me. 

I will miss you all and wish you all the best in and out of world. 

So lets give a bit welcome and congrats to her!!

And then April 8th:

Just so Everyone knows, I don't know if there is confusion but, We are not closing down by any means, just having to re-adjust and help take care of the sim for everyone! So please if anyone needs anything, contact me, (NAMES OMITTED) if you need anything. If you wanna help out, we can always use the extra hands. Thanks have a good day!

And then today:

The sim will be closing. It was a tough decision but it had to be made. Sorry to everyone about everything, just some things have to die. I wish the best of luck to all of you.

What can everyone do in situations like this? I still had 6 days left on my meter. I am absolutely disgusted right now.

I am PISSED! I had exactly a week left that I paid just about 4 days ago thinking that I would be here for quite some time since I loved it so so much. But no, apparently. So I basically just lost L$ 2,250 to this dumb ass new woman. Now, I have to go find a new place for me and my four children to live. Thanks a lot L********* O****.

Illuminatra wrote:

What can everyone do in situations like this?

That is the chance you take when renting from someone rather than "buying" directly from LL... it happens all the time and there's nothing you can do about it except move on, find a new place and remember never to pay tier to someone too far in advance, should you choose to continue renting rather than owning.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Illuminatra wrote:

That is the chance you take when renting from someone rather than "buying" directly from LL... it happens all the time and there's nothing you can do about it except move on, find a new place and remember never to pay tier to someone too far in advance, should you choose to continue renting rather than owning.

...Dres

Chance or not, it's complete bull-sh*t & I am sorry that I paid my rent on time every week to someone who's been in Second Life for 7 years. Who can you trust then? 

Illuminatra wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Illuminatra wrote:

...Dres

Chance or not, it's complete bull-sh*t & I am sorry that I paid my rent on time every week to someone who's been in Second Life for 7 years. Who can you trust then? 

It's not a matter of trust... it's a matter of risk.  If you don't wish to take the chance of this happening again, become a premium member and look for a parcel on mainland.  Of course, there's still risk that way, but the risk of SL closing down next week is much less than that of a single sim doing so.

...Dres

i think its dicrassful but i did some digging...... the person who left never intended on keeping the sim going..... she palmed it off onto two people she knew couldnt keep it going an then left with all the lindens... reason they cant pay back is cause there is no lindens to pay back..... they all been taken an deposited in the alt accounts she still has active... an so she did this to cover her big scam.....

kaczeniak1994 wrote:

i think its dicrassful but i did some digging...... the person who left never intended on keeping the sim going..... she palmed it off onto two people she knew couldnt keep it going an then left with all the lindens... reason they cant pay back is cause there is no lindens to pay back..... they all been taken an deposited in the alt accounts she still has active... an so she did this to cover her big scam.....

Yeah, this is absolutely disgusting. I hope that Linden Labs will ban her from Second Life.

not so wise to write this kind of things if you don't have real proof... in a response above is stated LL should ban the sim owner, but with this kind of statements you might be to one who get banned if you just type it down without proof and the account you accused sends in a AR ....

i think the sim owner used your rent for covering tierpayments to LL, the time that sim owners really earned a lot by renting out parcels is long time ago, for sure when it's only about one sim, it's not likely there was a rebate on the maintenance tiers in that case as for larger estates.

move on, there's nothing you can do about it. Small estates leave.. large estates do the same sometimes... 1 or 20 sims make no difference, gone is gone.

If you know this for sure, then you and the other people who have fallen for the scam need to be submitting abuse reports via the inworld abuse report system. Try not to be emotional, though, be pithy and precise and objective, and Linden Lab will be able to see clearly what has occurred, investigate it.  If someone has deliberately scammed you in this way, there is the chance they will create more alts and do it again. However, only Linden Lab can look into this, and as I say, emotional rants will get you nowhere on an abuse report ticket, so be as objective as possible.

Sadly this happens in real life too.  I paid rent through a letting agent for several years, then I left the town I was living in for a couple of years with my then husband. Returning, I was relieved to see my trusted letting agent, and be able to get accommodation through him again. Alas, his own life had taken dramatic turns, and he was tempted by other people's money, using the trust that he'd built up, to buy him enough time to make off with several thousands of pounds.

All I can do is wish you luck with the abuse report, and hope that lightening doesn't strike twice when you next go for housing, either in virtual or real lives.

• 1 month later...

I am sorry to see this post, which is all too unfortunately familiar in SecondLife, we absolutely feel for your situation as this has been the common thred of many of our Natives.

While we at Sublime are currently leased up , we do have an ample open public area which I am happy to offer to you and your displaced residents as a safe and reliable place to teleport, visit, dress etc untill you can figure out other options.

Please feel free to visit and explore; we welcome you. 

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Polynesia/130/189/21

Please Enjoy and Create your Second Life.

-Lexy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.