Stalker Alert!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi second life :)

Firstly, I want to start off my saying I have an real issue, and would only like constructive comments to help me deal with it. I realise there may be other threads re this.. but I have looked and not found any answers.

There is somebody who is trying to imitate me on an alt, they are trying to ruin my SLife basically, sending notecards to all my family telling them I am all of these different alts, when I have proved they are not me.. basically being a pain. I will submit an abuse report when I have written it up, but my main question today is.. 

Is there any way to tell if your chat is being listened to? 

I have searched the land and found nothing, i'm not wearing anything that could be a tracker.. but this person seems to know what I am saying and when.

Please help!

Spirit

No one can listen in on your IM's. However if someone shared a log they'd know what was being said.  This is against the TOS, unless you gave them specific permission,  and the person sharing can be AR'd for it.  Note that the silly disclamers some people put in the profile that basically say that if you IM them they log IM's and can share them.  That is not true because you can't agree to the TOS then decide later you are exempt from some of its provisions.

Public chat could possibly be monitored using a scripted device but that would have to be rezzed on your land.  If you have checked that you should be ok.  Be sure though that you set your land under About Land>Options, to not allow people outside your parcel to hear or see avatars inside it, so they can't spy on you from a parcel near you.

Spirit,

1. There's no way to prove or disprove who has which alts, nor is that information interesting for anyone with all screws in tightened condition. Whenever you meet someone with the "paranoid" screw untight, hand them a screwdriver.

2. Someone harassing you/your friends: put the person on ignore, and ask your friends to do the same. If some don't, you should ask yourself if they are friends, or more interested in stirring up some silly sl-drama.

3. Nobody can spy on your IM's, unless your computer has been compromised with some spying software, or the person you talked to shares the IM log with someone else (against the TOS).

4. What you say in local chat is "public" anyway, no need to wonder if someone is "listening", if you want privacy, use IM's instead.

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

With some devices that are Restrained Love enabled, your IMs can be monitored

FYI: This is not possible through RestrainedLove (RLV or RLVa) under any circumstances (it can disable IMs, but not monitor). I've also corrected the name of the system to avoid confusion. :)

The only type of chat that can be monitored by any script is local chat.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.