Controlling IM

LadyElisa1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Nope, it's not possible. Doing so would be a violation of the Second Life Community Standards.

Here's the applicable clause...

Disclosure

Residents are entitled to a reasonable level of privacy with regard to their Second Life experience. Sharing personal information about your fellow Residents without their consent -- including gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual preference, alternate account names, and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their Resident profile -- is not allowed. Remotely monitoring conversations in Second Life, posting conversation logs, or sharing conversation logs without the participants' consent are all prohibited.

You may have obtained permission from your sub to monitor, but you have not obtained permission from the third parties s/he communicates with.

Furthermore, monitoring "chat" I.e. channel 0 is not permitted as per the terms, despite some products that relay it. Public chat still forms a conversation that shall not be remotely monitored. The only products that would comply would be ones that relay only the text said by the monitored subject and not include anything received back.

That makes for a pretty dull read.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Furthermore, monitoring "chat" I.e. channel 0 is not permitted as per the terms, despite some products that relay it. Public chat still forms a conversation that shall not be remotely monitored. The only products that would comply would be ones that relay only the text said by the monitored subject and not include anything received back.

That makes for a pretty dull read.

I would love to hear a definitive answer from LL on this.

I know it's been discussed endlessly and I am not trying to resurect a dead horse here.

Just that it still comes up from time to time.

This would be allowed under Community Standards:-

default{    state_entry()    {         llListen(0,"","","");    }    listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message)    {        llSay(0,name + ": " + message);    }}

This would not be allowed under Community Standards:-

default{    state_entry()    {         lIListen(0,"","","");    }    listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message)    {        lIInstantMessage(llGetOwner(),name + ": " + message);    }}

It's remote relaying which is disallowed - sending chat to uninvolved parties (such as those off-sim, via IM). Simply relaying inside LSL (via link message or non-zero channels) or reading chat via script is not disallowed.

This issue is separate from IM, which has technical constraints preventing monitoring via LSL. 

Freya Mokusei wrote:

default{    state_entry()    {         llListen(0,"","","");    }    listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message)    {        llSay(0,name + ": " + message);    }}

This would
not
be allowed under Community Standards:-
default{    state_entry()    {         lIListen(0,"","","");    }    listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message)    {        lIInstantMessage(llGetOwner(),name + ": " + message);    }}

It's remote relaying which is disallowed - sending chat to uninvolved parties (such as those off-sim, via IM). Simply relaying inside LSL (via link message or non-zero channels) or reading chat via script is not disallowed.

This issue is separate from IM, which has technical constraints preventing monitoring via LSL. 

Freya Mokusei wrote:

This would
not
be allowed under Community Standards:-

OK, I get it. 

Actually my brain was thinking about something else when I posted but it's not important right now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.