what is a hud?

Bourquoise

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3351 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Hi Bourquoise,

HUD is an acronym for "Heads Up Display". You can attach objects, like shoes and hair, directly to your avatar. HUDs are actually built the same way, but they attach to the viewer screen, a bit like sticking one of those suction cup decorations on a window. HUDs are generally used to control things, such as an AO (animation overrider) that gives you better looking movement than the default motions, or to control functions in complex role play games. You don't have a HUD by default, you obtain them to fullfill a purpose, just as you buy clothing or furniture. You can also have multiple HUDs, depending on what you're doing.

Here's a more complete explanation...

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Heads-up-displays-HUDs/ta-p/700083

And your question has raised a question for me... anybody know what a "module" is?

;-).

• Like 3

I can't improve much on Maddy's description of a HUD.  A HUD is basically a scripted object that controls things for its owner, attached on the viewer screen where only the owner can see or use it. 

"Module", though?  There is no such thing, at least there's nothing formal by that name in SL.  I will sometimes design a complicated system that has many semi-independent parts and will call them "modules", but that's just me.  It just sounds more professional than saying "the exploding whatsis" or "the spinning thingee", or "the green doohickey".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3351 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.