Is it possible to get the 50% discount on next quarterly subscription on existing premium account?

VivianneTaylor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The promotion email I got implies I can get 50% discount on the next subscription. The link to it leads to promotion page that doesn't really allow doing anything, just advertises premium. Is there a way to get the discount on next time the fee is due or is it just poorly worded and applies only to new subscribers, offering nothing to existing customers?

--- added later as answer to below ---

The link in the email was to secondlife.com/premium, so it's not a scam. I don't know if it is even possible to do anything on those as signed in.

As for what email. the wording in email is: "Get 50% off your Next Quarterly Premium Subscription! Hurry! Don't miss this special offer." and link "Get discount". Considering I have kept the premium subscription going since I registered for it, I found it weird to get such offer for discount, worded like that if I'm actually no eligible, so I looked up how to get the discount. Guess it was just sloppy wording then.

2 answers to this question

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Vivianne.  

I just took a look at the link.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Account/Is-it-possible-to-get-the-50-discount-on-next-quarterly/qaq-p/2780302

I read it a few times over, and it looks like it is a one-time offer, and like with many mobile phone/internet/games packages out there, it is an offer designed to entice non-premium members and new folks to commit to a quarterly payments premium membership.  (I think the existing premium customers will benefit from the free airship, which basic account holders will not get.)

*TERMS & CONDITIONS FOR 50% DISCOUNT

This limited-time discount offer is available only for memberships on the Quarterly billing plan. Discount will be applied to the first quarterly billing cycle only, and all future charges will be at the regular Premium price. To qualify, Second Life members must have an active Basic account or create a new Second Life account. Discount offer begins on Friday the 18th of July at 8:00 am Pacific Daylight Time (PDT) and expires on Monday the 4th of August 2014 at 08:00 am Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).

Whoops!  What email?

Yes, LL sometimes offers a discount on NEW Premium subscriptions.  However, it's only for the first period of the subscription.

But I'm more concerned that the email contained a link.  When you clicked it, did it take you to a page where you had to log in?  If so, IMMEDIATELY read the information on phishing at this link and follow its advice.  http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Email_Scam_%28Phishing%29_FAQ

Official emails will never contain links that take you to a log in page.

Having said that, the current promotion is just like the previous ones.  Only for NEW quarterly Premium signups, and only for the first quarter.  You actually get a better deal simply going with an annual subscription.  The downside to any of the the longer subscription plans is that you can't get a refund if you decide to downgrade partway through the subscription period...you're locked in until the end of the subscription.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.