What workarounds have people found for the limitations of Outfit folders?

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3196 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Now that I have a mesh body, mesh hands, and mesh feet, maintaining outfits is getting more complicated.  I have been a heavy user of outfits since they becam available.  Sometime in the last several months, new limitations on what can be done with them have appeared in, at least, the LL viewer and Firestorm.  Why anyone would add new limitations is beyond me.  I have rountinely stored my out-of-season outfits in a storage folder outside the Outfits folder just to make the number of outfits more manageable.  I just found out today that, while I can still drag an outfit folder to another folder, I can't drag it back into the Outfits folder.  I know that this behavior is new, because I have routinely done just that with dozens of folders each spring and fall in the past.

There are also other limitations compared with other folders that I don't know are new, but that are irritating.  I can't paste a link into an Outfit folder.  I can't copy a link from an outfit folder.

What I wanted to do before I found these limitations was to, e.g., create a folder in which I would keep the latest version of my mesh body, and place a link to that folder in outfits, so that all I would have to do when a new version came out was to replace the copy in the folder, istead of updating outfits themselves, which can only be done (since I can't paste links into them) by wearing them, changing what needs chganging, and saving them.

Anmy ideas for worarounds will be very much appreciated.

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

I can't paste a link into an Outfit folder.

You can paste a link into an Outfit folder. The trick how to do it is like this:

• If you select the folder itself you cannot paste a new link into the folder.

• But when you select an item (any item)  inside the folder you can paste a new link into the folder.

I wonder why it's done in this odd way, but that's how it works. One would think that selecting an item inside the folder would replace that item with the new link but that does not happen. Not very intuitive.

PS.

In Linden Lab's viewer you just do a "Paste" with the above method and it creates a link.

In Firestorm viewer there are options "Paste as link" and "Paste". Both will create a link into an Outfit folder.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3196 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.