Maitreya Lara - obvious neck shading - FIXED

LadyEllenT

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The transition in the neck from the mesh body to the classic head is very noticable. The neck fix makes it worse and I don't want to change my skin tone. Besides, it matches perfectly with the head already. Is there something else I should be trying?

Edit: the problem seems to be fixed now.  I removed the mesh skin and put it back on again and the coloring went away.  These pics were taken in the same light and same place as the above pics.

The only way to really have a seamless match is to use a skin with an applier. Check your skin maker's store and see if you can purchase one. Even then, 

NECK
There are five neck sizes that are based on avatar body fat and correspond to body fat on the 5 standard sizes: 0, 5, 7, 11 and 24. The neck Fix On/Off toggles a sheath to hide the seam between the mesh body and the avatar head. Ambient Occlusion (in your preferences 'Graphics' tab) needs to be off to prevent visible seams. The neck sheath will need to be turned off if the body is worn in combination with a mesh head.

make sure your body fat is set to match your neck size. 

I am pretty new to mesh bodies and Second Life in general.

If by 'skin', you mean 'body', then Maitreya does not seem to sell a seperate applier that I have found.

I've tried each of the different neck sizes in the hud and the problem persists.

Ambient Occlusion is off by default and not even available any way.

I'm not sure what you mean by "make sure your body fat is set to match your neck size."

This is what it looks like when I click the neck fix tab. Notice the differrence is more obvious than in the first pics I posted?

This is what it looks like in the back no matter whether I use the neck fix or not so I don't even feel like I can wear this ponytail hair I bought

It took me awhile to get used to buying body parts lol. Skins and shapes are separate things, and mesh bodies are an entirely separate thing than either of those. 

You always wear a shape

it determines things like your height, bone structure, and body fat. You can change it yourself (right click on you, go to appearance and edit shape) using sliders to fine tune pretty much everything, or you can buy one premade by someone else. 

The skin you get also has a major role in your appearance. You can choose from different skin tones and shading, which can alter dramatically the way your shape looks. 

Skin makers usually sell appliers, which is what you need to make your skin the same on your head and your body if you use a mesh body. 

Lighting lighting lighting! Lighting is key! There are always going to be seams, even with perfectly matched skin, if you use mesh. Using the right windlight minimizes the unsightly things. 

So, the neck fitting... right click on yourself and go to appearance, and from there to edit shape. On the body tab, scroll down to body fat and you can play with it, and over on the torso tab, you can specifically adjust your neck. 

I know there is a huge learning curve in SL, so feel free to message me if you need a hand. I'm not inworld much, but I'll get back to you as soon as I can if you do :matte-motes-smitten:

edited because the 500 pictures I took of huds weren't doing anything to help because they were too small to see lol

Thank you so much for that tutorial. I really appreciate you taking the time to help. I had no idea you meant my classic avatar's body fat. I still think of this Maitreya skin as my body but someone told me it is just a skin. I remember finding that menu when I couldn't get any shoes to fit my classic avatar and someone finally told me that many shoes are designed for small feet and my avatar came with size 20 feet and that I can make them smaller with a simple slide on the bar.

Also, the neck shading thing seems to be fixed! I was trying on clothes and accidentally removed the msh skin and when I put it back on again, the shading was gone! Even if I zoom in, you cant even tell its there any more. I've edited my OP to add that information in case anyone else is having the same issue.

Thanks again for your time and I just might PM you some day since I only know a couple people inworld who can help me with the mesh and they're not always avaialble and I'm sure more issues will pop up.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.