Clothing problem

Cully Andel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm not the only person I know with this problem but is anything actually being done!

Everytime I try to change clothes eveyrone else sees me still in the same outfit. There are indeed lots of ways to fix this but I'm getting sick and tired of wasting time trying to do something so very very simple. (the phrase 'back to basics' keeps repeating in my head from somewhere).

Surely after all the years SL has been going it's simple enough to allow us to be wearing the right outfit when we change? Otherwise what's the point in people selling clothing - we might as well all just stop in one outfit.

I, like a lot of other people, pay to be in SL and surely it's not to much to ask to be allowed to change clothes without having to go through the rigmarole of making sure we look right on everyone elses screen!

The problem you describe is referred to as a bake failure.  When you change your outfit, the change takes place on your own computer, where the new clothing is "baked" onto your avatar.  Then it has to be uploaded to SL's servers so that other people can see it.  If there is a problem with the upload, usually because of a weak Internet connection, you can still see the new clothing but nobody else can.  For a good explanation and an overview of solutions, take a look HERE.

Look at it this way, that's better than others seeing your avatar naked (especially if you land in an area where you should most definitely not be naked).  Before you leave home for a destination, if you have just changed clothes, go into Edit Appearance and click every button you are able to click once.  That can help 'force' a rez.

Rolig Im interested by your comment because I have the opposite proble I appear complete to others but not myself with pieces missing from items like spectacles and a prim beard - I touch the items and they appear suddenly complete again - usually this happens after Ive looked away from sl (switching to say my browser then switching back), this also sometimes textures my avy with the background too. Wonder if you have a cause and possible solution for that ?

There are some reported issues with NVidia graphics cards ( see HERE, for example) that may explain it. I have had the same experience you describe, though, and it's much less drastic than some of the reports of missing body parts that are in JIRAs like that one. Like you, I can sometimes find that a part of my av has gone totally transparent if I have switched windows to check my e-mail or browser. Clicking on the av or doing a quick Ctrl-Alt-R rebake always fixes it instantly. It's a little disconcerting, but so far I have simply ignored it. I suspect that it's another odd connection issue -- squirrels on the line in Topeka or Baltimore, or wherever my signal is routed.

ROllig, Venus - thanks for the info. Took me nearly an hour to change this time. None of it helped I'm afraid. I checked my textures and surprise surprise it's not my end.

Seems my only option to change it so turn in to a noob, get my alt on and get her to see if I actually change clothes. The fact there's  Jira give me no comfort whatsoever. We've heard about Lindens 'going back to basics' well come on! Getting changed and appearing clothed is about as basic as you can get! There's a lot of opposition out there now. I things don't improve you might just start losing more and more people!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.