Mouselook, once mouse is moved, all i see is the ceiling spinning. Does not happen on my laptop.why

TheQman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

For some reason my desktop puter won't allow me to use mouselook.  I just end up looking at the ceiling, spinning once i move the mouse.  I changed mice, updated all drivers, and it still just doesn't work.  Though on my laptop, I have no problems.  Wonder if it is a windows issue.  I have vista home premium 32 bit. nvidia 8600 gts graphics Tried viewer2 and phoenix ver 1050 same issue.  I have seen others within other games have this issue, but the solutions they used did not work for me.

17 answers to this question

Yes the aspect ration is correct. Ty for the help though. Have had a lot of help, but no one can understand why it is doing it, I even went into phoenix and found a way to adjust mouse sensitivity to negative numbers. Didn't work. Something is causing the camera to not function during mouselook.

Hey Qman, I was looking through the archives and found this problem that someone had, unfortunatly he never received a solution to his problem but I dont know what DPI is but I thought maybe if you do it might help you:

I'm using Windows Vista and use a larger DPI scale so that everything on screen doesn't look tiny, set at 135 DPI. When I go into mouselook view in second life, my avatar looks straight up and spins in circles if I move my mouse even slightly. The problem goes away if I set the DPI scale in Windows to 96, but that just makes everything tiny. I tried values of 150, 140, 133, everything and this problem still happens. Any ideas?

Thank you Charolotte!!!! Your the BOMB!...That resolved it. Had my DPI at 115, reset it to 96 and now the mouselook works! Must be some bug with windows when you change the DPI setting. Thanks for all your help.

Charolette you just right click anywhere on your desktop, select personalize, and then to the left you will see the adjst font DPI. Think it stands for Dot per inch...default is 96. If you adjust it larger, your fonts will be bigger.

In mouselook or whenever I used control + alt to focus on a prim for edit purposing my view would also rapidly spin. This made it impossible to work on projects and would get me very dizzy if I stared at the spinning for too long.  As I had just updated to Windows 8 I thought this was the cause.  Tried to re-install second life .... updated video drivers....cleared all setting...etc but nothing worked. 

Then after changing display settings from (larger 150% to medium 125%) I happened to again try second life and ALL WORKED FINE WITH NO SPINNING.

I then set the display size back to 150% and the spinning was back. Returning the display to 125% again and all worked well and again no spinning.

This was a lucky coincidental finding but it seems to be definitely the cause of the mysterious spin problem on Second Life. 

Give changing the display size a try and I hope that solves your problem also.

LawrenceW

Thank you so much - I am sorry but I did not see Maddy's answer - I forgot to click email answers and don't know how to find them without it - thanks again :) I will certainly try to use your suggestions :) I just don't understand why it is only relatively recently that this has happened - I didn't have this problem previously - unless it is due to the the high end of the crash rates. Thanks again :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.