i need money

taylalex1234

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2939 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Welcome to Second Life, Taylalex!

I think it would be more accurate to say that you want money. It's possible to do quite a bit in SL without ever having money. You can find free clothing all around SL and in the Marketplace, and that could keep you busy dressing up for quite some time. The biggest expense for most people here is for maintaining a "home". If you don't mind being a wanderer (like me!), you can avoid that expense. Your avatar vanishes when you log out, so there's no need to worry about parking it in some special place when you leave.

There are ways to "earn" small amounts of money in-world, you can learn more about that here...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/How_to_Earn_Linden_Dollars_in_Second_Life

Linden Lab's gambling game policies have changed since the creation of that page, so some of the ideas may no longer be allowed. Somewhere on that page it says that people have earned large sums of Lindens by playing games. That may be true, but I imagine those people expended extraordinary amounts of time to do so. And that brings up the concept of "opportunity cost". If you have absolutely nothing else to do, or get pleasure from finding pennies, then go head.

There are still some money trees around SL, though many of them only pay to residents 45 days old or younger. I don't see your profile online yet, so I'll guess you've yet to log-in for the first time and you'll have 45 days to find the trees.

If you have 3D computer design skills, you might create objects for sale in the marketplace, but that'll take a lot of time to learn how to build things for sale in SL, and you'll have lots of competition.

Good luck!

• Like 2

As Maddy says, you don't really need money in SL, at least not when you're getting started.

However, if you do want some money, the quickest and simplest way is to buy some L$ on the SL exchange.

If you view SL as part of your entertainment budget, you'll see that what you'd spend on an evening out, or even on a few cups of decent coffee in a coffeeshop will buy you enough L$ to keep you going for quite some time.

If you do have a marketable skill, like making mesh models, or animations, or clothes or (like me) scripts, you can certainly make (in SL terms) a lot of money.   However, it's still best to only to exercise that skill if it's a hobby you enjoy.  Minimum wage in my country (the UK) has just gone up to £7.20 an hour, which is a little over $10.00.    For $10.00 I can buy about L$2,500.    You've got to be pretty well-established and successful in SL content creation before you can reliably make $2.500 an hour.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2939 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.