Viewer issues

Vezirec

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just joined yesterday, and the viewer worked fine, but today it stalled on the VFS thing or whatever it is. I tried reinstalling it, but now it says secondlife is already running, i tried restarting, checked my task manager, and no second life is running. Does anyone know what to do?

Hello Vezirec and welcome to SL Forums. It is very possible to fix your problem if you delete all contests at the following folder: C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ Secondlife

Remarks:

• Usually the folder Appdata is a hidden folder. (Windows Tools \ Folder Options \ View & enable Show Hidden Files/Folders)
  • About Windows paths: C:\ = Your hard disk, you find it if you open "My computer". Where you see backslash, follows a folder into the previous one

Vezirec wrote:

I cannot find windows tools, i have windows vista, do you have any idea where it would be?

Would a different viewer work, and would I lose any data using a different viewer?

In Windows Vista: Start button --> Control Panel --> Classic View --> Double click on the folder options icon --> Show hidden files and folders --> OK

You will not lose any data using a different viewer although it is no necessary.

After you see a crash the viewer may have a problem on restart. When you get an already running, you KNOW it did not shut down properly. When it crashes it may leave some of the SL Viewr tasks running, which is probably why your getting the message.

There are techie ways to find the tasks and shut them down. But, the easy way is to restart the computer.

VFS is the virtual file system. During this time files are being read, cache retrived, and data pulled from the SL servers. If some of the files in the cache, settings, and some other XML files are corrupt, you'll get an error. A common recommendation is to clear the cache. Next, delete the settings file.

When nothing is working, restart the computer, uninstall the viewer (WARNING: an SL Viewer uninstall deletes your chat logs), check the Program Files for the SecondLife folder and make sure it is empty or deleted, and then reinstall SL.

If you run more than one viewer, avoid using the SL uninstall. Manually delete the program and support files. Then reinstall the viewer. If you run multiple viewers, read this: Clean Install. It will give you information based on running several viewers.

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.