Failing Region Capabilities, Display Names not loading and Teleports causing Disconnects.

Minareth Irata

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay, here is what happens... I have disconnects sometimes, even though I'm on Fiber Optics, I fear it's the Modem with the custom Firmware my ISP gave me as the disconnects occurred more commonly since I got my new Internet connection, but meanwhile other things are triggered which I doubt are my modem's fault as I heard other Residents experience them too.

When a disconnect occurs, like it isn't annoying enough, there is a chance that when I try to relog, the Viewer's loading screen shows 3 attempts for requesting Region Capabilities... Which all seem to fail as huge Can-O-Drama is opened without anyone ever giving permission to as Mesh fails to load, Display Names don't show and also decide to hide Legacy Names, and you can forget about Teleporting as Second Life just logs you the $@#*! out. (Bleeped myself there, don't worry, I'm just frustrated with all this.)

I guess I'm supposed to sit it out, but 20 relogs later, without exaggerating, it may or may not finally be fixed... I don't know if Linden Research is aware of this but darn, I can't think of anything more annoying. I'm just trying to be addicted to their 3D world here, but technology just needs to be technology again... Being full of unpleasant surprises that is.

I suppose this is server-side as clearing cache and all those standard procedures don't do anything and logging in on your Home location only works if you're not running in to the issue there but in another sim.

I write this in hope someone knows more about it and perhaps a way to solve it somehow, but I fear it's either my modem or Linden Labs needs to have another look at the Server Code, anyway, it's annoying, and VERY frustrating...

• 2 months later...

Well, still having this issue once in a while, and I just can't solve it by simple things like resetting my cache and resetting my modem, the only thing that can be done is just wait for it to pass. Which some times can take a whole day! Things I read in the meantime is that this issue has been around for a while, and seems to happen client-side. The Modem appears to be the culprit according to some. That's great and all, but no one has come with a way to fix it yet it seems or I have missed it. 

Also, if this problem is so common, it surprises me Linden Research hasn't looked in to it, I know they're probably busy with developments and running their company, but they always seemed to have been on top of general connectivity issues. :/

If you're looking for assistance in solving your problems you'll need to provide information about the computer hardware you have, if you're on wifi or ethernet connection, and the viewer you use to connect to SL. There isn't much anyone can do to help without that information.

I'm fairly confident the issue will be traced back to your hardware or your connection through your ISP.

If you can swap routers, refresh your local network connection by plugging and unplugging each device in turn, this might lead to some success. Swapping to a new router/modem is a common fix, as is moving to another PC (in the case of diagnosing a failing NIC).

There's no real reason for this to be caused by server hardware, I would say it is incredibly unlikely that the simulator/region is responsible. (For me, the conclusive evidence of this is Display Names, which aren't loaded from the region)

My very hard wares... :P

Intel i5 2500K, 8 GiB RAM, nVidia GTX 580.

Connection is Wired for stability's sake, Viewer is the Default one from Second Life's website.

I'm pretty sure myself too that this issue is client-side, in case anyone thought so I'm not trying to blame Linden Research for this issue, I was just hoping that they provided some general support for it by now. I'm also getting random disconnects once in a while, I'm pretty sure it's my modem.

About the modem, it's a thing that is absolutely dreadful, it's the standard one provided by my ISP. (KPN Internet, if anyone is familiar with Dutch ISP's.) And it has firmware on it developed by them that, well... Basically dumbs the thing down... Removing a lot of the advanced features. (You can't disable the Firewall, for example.) The modem is labeled as an Experia Box v8, but in truth is an Arcadyan. (Haven't found out which type yet.) I'm saving up to replace this pile of rubbish.

Update: Well, called with my ISP as was recommended by a friend of mine, and they helped me reroute my computer only around the modem's Firewall, seems that's why it can't be disabled, since it can apparently reroute one specific computer at a time instead of all. It seems to work but during the phonecall Second Life already snapped out of it, so will have to see if the issue stays away.

Update 2: ... It's back in it's fullest glory... So either it's my ISP or the modem is still being paranoid... I'm running out of ideas...

Update on the Internet used. (Info on request by a Linden.)

ISP: KPN Internet.

Modem Brand: Arcadyan Model: VGV7519

Firmware Version: 02.00.124 (Possibly custom firmware by KPN Internet, Netherlands.)

Connection is Fibre Optics with 100/100 MBit. Modem Firewall is disabled using Windows Firewall only.

Computer is connected through a 1,000 MBit Cat 5e LAN cable. (Twisted, Shielded.) Fibre connection to modem is Cat 6.

Last known working setup.

ISP: Telfort Internet.

Modem Brand: Zyxel Model: P-2602H-D3A

ZyNOS Firmware Version: V3.40(AOA.7)b1 | 6/18/2012 DSL Firmware Version: TI AR7 07.03.01.00

Connection is ADSL2+ with 20/1 MBit. Modem Firewall was also disabled using Windows Firewall only.

Computer was connected through a 100 MBit Cat 5e LAN cable. (Twisted, Shielded.) Phone line to modem was less than a meter long.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.