"MAX_MAX_HULLS_EXCEEDED"

Atop Seid

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have spent all day trying to upload some meshes, but I am hitting constant roadblocks. Every time I try to Calculate Weights and Fee, I get the following message:

"Mesh0 failed to upload: Multiple errors while validating asset.
Upload_InvalidAsset

MissingString(Mav_Details_MAX_MAX_HULLS_EXCEEDED)

See SecondLife.log for details"

In this case, the vertices are 4194, the hulls are 1108 and triangles are N/A. I should also point out that, at least with this mesh, this issue only seems to occur after using the physics Analyze feature. The only things I changed from the default physics settings are putting the Level of Detail to High and Quality to Preview.

This is one of the many issues I have been having. I looked for this error message online and searched for it in the forums, but I cannot find anyone else with the same issue. As for the other errors I am recieving, I have been unable to find anything that concretely fixed the issue. But I would rather fix this problem first.

Do you mean the maximum number of hulls per physics shape? I ask as, as I said, the upload seems to work fine without applying physics.

Is there not some shortcut to creating a custom collision mesh? I would much rather not have to create one for each of my structures by hand.

Each mesh object requires a physics shape. If you do not specify one under the Physics tab, the importer will create a single convex hull with no more than 256 vertices which encompasses the entire mesh on it's own.

If you do specify a mesh as the physics shape, and hit the Analyze button, the chosen mesh will be decomposed into a set of convex hulls. If this set of hulls exceeds 256 hulls, it will throw the error. The more complex this mesh is, the more hulls it will produce. So it's common practice to create very simplified meshes to be used as collision shapes.

You can play with the simplify methods under Step 3 to reduce the number of hulls. The results may have rather high physics weights still, and/or the shape might not be as accurate as you would like to have it, though.

Try setting the Method to Retain % and decrease the Retain value under Step 3, until the hulls are reduced to less than 256.

Right, that's why hand made physics shapes are pretty much necessary. It will be beneficial to achieve the desired shapes, and most often will have lower physics weights, which means better performance as well.

Taking shortcuts isn't actually something that works that well in 3D content creation. It's not that much of extra work either though. Just have to make sure the physics shapes keeps the bounding box dimensions of the visual mesh.

Atop Seid wrote:

Understood. Though I am disappointed that I could not find an easier method,

If it had been easy everybody would have been doing it. ^_^

Arton was too polite to mention this but if you get the max hull error for a house, you're really not doing it the ideal way. One hull for each wall and one for each floor (although you don't really want to use hull physics at all for walkable surfaces). Add two hulls for each doorway, one or two for each door and four for each staircase and then maybe two for the roof. Then maybe a few for railings and free standing columns and such and perhaps your floors and roof are so complex they need a few extra hulls, but even so, 50 hulls is a lot for a house and each and every hull adds 0.36 to the physics weight.

One relatively common "cheat" is to make the whole mesh phantom and then add invisible prims for physics, the way you do it with sculpts. It's not a very efficient solution but it works and your house isn't going to be an efficient build anyway so it shouldn't make much difference.

I find this annoying and the fix i use is break the mesh down into smaller parts, you can still upload your mesh as one upload but it will calculate the hulls of each seperate part and will exceed the limits I've uploaded meshes with 500 hulls but because the individual parts don't exceed the limit it calculate fine and uploads

hope this helps

P.s dont forget to make the parts closed meshes ie: if you have a wall make sure it's not just 2 planes side by side make them into a box thats connected on all sides or you'll screw up the physics

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.