Once I pay premium

karlklondike

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Do you mean a Linden Home? If so, yeah, the land and the house are one way to use the 512 sq.m. "bonus" tier that comes bundled with the Premium account.

But you are not required to waste use that bonus tier on a Linden Home, and can instead use it to own 512 sq.m. of fully functional Mainland (or up to 560 sq.m. of group-deeded land, taking advantage of the 10% "Group Bonus" as applied to the 512 sq.m. "Premium Bonus").

karlklondike wrote:

So I've already chosen the home. Is there a way to switch that home for the land? Would the piece of land be bigger than the home.

It's complicated. You can always abandon the Linden Home, even after you've lived in it a while, and if you don't replace it with another Linden Home, you'd be able to instead use the 512 sq.m. Premium bonus tier for some other Mainland.

There's nothing wrong with hanging out in the Linden Home a while first, though, if you want, to get some experience with some aspects of land ownership, maybe benefitting from the "training wheels" of the Linden Homes environment at first.

With regular Mainland, you have to pay something up-front to buy the land, which comes for free with Linden Homes. Mainland prices vary widely, depending on the appeal of the land (or sometimes the folly of the seller).

And you supply your own house, which uses up some of the prim allotment of the land. (In contrast, Linden Homes are a kind of "cheat" in that the prims for the house shell do not come from the parcel's 117-prim allotment. The downside is the choice of old, relatively crappy builds on offer as Linden Homes, in contrast to the wide variety of much more advanced houses available on the open market.)

It's pretty much the same 512 square meter surface area, a Linden Home or regular Mainland parcel. As I mentioned above, it's possible to use a "trick" of deeding Mainland to a group and get an extra 10%, but that's not a very big deal at this level, and not an easy first step.

Do you mean you already chose a Linden Home? You can dump those any time or swap them.

Or do you mean you bought a house and now want to place it?

On the Linden Homes, you have to take their homes, they are welded to the land.

But if you buy  your own land, then you can put your own house on it, but you have to make sure it fits, so check its footprint and prims to see if it will.

Couldn't I go for the land and then buy an already built home from someone and put it on that land? I knew of a guy that did that back in 2010 I think he did. He paid a lot more for his land and house though. It was a two story house. I've seen people with a lot of land that had houses and a church on it.

Sure. I'm clearly just not understanding your situation here.

If you don't already have a Linden Home, but instead you've selected a prefab house and just want to find land to put it on, that's a whole different thing. (In that case, you'll need to know the footprint of the house -- try rezzing it in a sandbox, if those dimensions aren't already known -- and its land impact so the parcel will have enough prims available for it and anything you want as furnishings.)

Even if you haven't yet selected a house, it may help to look at what size and land impact are associated with the kind of house and furnishings you'll eventually want, and start looking for land based on those requirements.

I'm sorry I'm being so slow to grasp what you want to do. This whole process of getting land and a house is a lot of fun. I'm just doing a terrible job at helping.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.