Mainland parcel - sharing permissions with another

BobbiJo Jonson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3297 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My friend recently purchased a parcel on the Mainland.  
How does he go about giving me permission to make it HOME
To set the music stream, to build, and to do all things.. and allow him to stay the owner of the property...

I know there must be an easy way but I just can't find it ...I have searched several places, and am getting more frustrated... 
and I have little knowlede of the Mainland

Thanks for your help in advance......

• 2 weeks later...

Your friend should create a group (L$100) and deed the land to that group. This way he has a lot more control over the permissions on his land. He can then assign you a role in the group and specify what you can do on the land.

You can read more on how to deed land to a group here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Deeding_land_to_groups

Yeah. Well, there are ways to enable all the specific requested things without deeding the land to group, but I agree that group-owned land is enough of a win to do it, even if it isn't entirely necessary in this case.

The reason I'm posting, though, is that I'm mystified how this question went unanswered for over ten days. I don't think I ever saw it here in this forum until just now, with the answer supplied, so I wonder where it languished unanswered all that time. Or... maybe it had an answer that later got deleted?

(It's a bit academic in this particular case because the OP seems not to have logged-in at any point after they asked the question; hence, for this one, an earlier answer probably wouldn't have made any difference.)

The objective was "... giving me permission to make it HOME... set the music stream, to build, and to do all things"

Well, almost "all things" can be supported by merely setting the land to a group, as opposed to fully deeding it to such a group. For years and years it was impossible for a mere group member to Set Home to land that was only "set" to group, and that single limitation has continued to affect land practices for years since it was fixed.

By far the most common way to set a music stream is using a scripted device owned by the landowner, whether that owner is a group or an individual. That basic functionality is trival to script, but it's often combined with a ton of other features, too, some of which may also be among the "all things" you want, such as parcel security. (One reason to combine such features in a single device is because the owner needs to explicitly authorize the intended folks to have the intended abilities, and it's easier to do that in one place for all the abilities -- although that too can be trivial if everyone in the group is to have all the abilities, and nobody else.)

(Regarding parcel build, it's a check box in About Land / Options to allow group members to build.)

[EDIT: Oh, now I see the wish was to not even form a group. That's really not practical, unless there's some pre-existing group you can re-purpose for this. I'm not entirely sure how this part works, but it may be possible to restrict who in a group can Set Home to land set to the group, so re-using a wider group might work for that. Some other stuff can be supported by script on land not even set to a group, as described in the paragraph for setting a music stream, above. The parcel Build thing is also a possibility, but would require that auto-return be disabled and replaced by a relatively new scripting function, llReturnObjectsByOwner().]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3297 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.