Newbie question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm brand new to SL and I have a probably a stupid question. I can't seem to find an animations folder in my inventory. do I just make a new folder and call it animations? also, where do I find my animations and do I just drag them there?   thanks

Welcome to Second Life and to Second Life Forums, Rachael.

It's not a silly question at all, but there should at least be a folder entitled "animations" in your inventory.  It may be empty as you are new, but you can purchase animations (or learn to make your own).  The Second Life Marketplace would be a good place to look...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/

or use the inworld search, just with the keyword animation.

There are some Animation Override HUDs (AOs) that make your avatar walk, run, sit, more naturally. You can take a look and use the demo (demonstration) pose stands. It's fun to do until you decide which ones you like the most. This is just one of the interesting places to find AOs...

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Ubunil/147/165/114

Thanks Devin, I will see if it is hidden inside another folder or something as it is not listed . if I dont find should I create it because later tonight I am going to install Dance Control V3  and I want it to work. (ive had problems installing other dance /Gesture programs)

The quick start instructions that they have listed is:

1) Attach your HUD
2) Click the Setup Button and choose "auto-conf" from the Menu to install playlists
3) Enjoy Dancing :)

So all I do is accept the box>copy it to Inventory>than I wear the file that looks like an HUD? they say to attach your HUD. is that what they mean? lol, i'm learning the terms that they use and I got a long way to go.   thanks for your help

This is perhaps clear from the other answers...

The thing is that LL decided to HIDE any system folder that has no content in them. This means that the animations, photoalbum, scripts, objects, textures, or any other folder that is empty is a no-show *until you receive some item that is automatically put into the particular folder*.

For animations, this means you have to have someone give you, or you have to buy, A SINGLE ANIMATION which automatically goes in to the Animations folder. An AO, which is an object containing animations, will not go into the Animations folder, thus the folder will stay hidden. The AO goes into the Objects folder...

- Luc -

Hello again, Rachael,

It is quite a steep learning curve when you first come into Second Life, and indeed, if you look at my signature line you'll see how I feel about it !

Luckily, there is plenty of help, via these forums/answers, and also there is a ton of information if you look towards the top of the screen and click on that tab entitled "Knowledge Base". 

However, as you are brand new, the best place to go first is the Quickstart Guide.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Second-Life-Quickstart/ta-p/1087919?lang=en-US

A lot of people overlook the basics, and unfortunately find Second Life too hard to remain in, but as you will see from many of the birth dates (or rezz dates) on the profiles you'll read inworld of other avatars, you will see that a lot stay for many years.

My advice to you would be to take your time, know that the first two weeks are the most difficult, because you can feel like you're drowning in information, but it really is worth it.

Also on the Knowledge Base, the section I have found invaluable, and which I still do dip into is the video tutorials section...

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Video-Tutorials/ta-p/776295

Also, your own personal dashboard can always be reached by clicking on the Second Life icon at the top left hand side of this screen.  On your dashboard you will find links to all your account information, a list of all your friends that are currently online, the grid status updates (this can be handy if you find you are having problems logging in, as there might be a reason on the grid status page).

And know that always other residents will be manning these forums and answers for any questions or problems you may have, or any discussions you wish to take part in as and when they arise.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.