should I sell a creation ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3234 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I created a vehicle, it took me around 4 days and then a few days just tinkering and working out minor issues (as to why it would just flip and crash into the floor lol)

got it to a point where I like the look and a few people told me it was good enough to sell, its just over 100 prims, the scripts were donated to me, one I have no idea on the license of the first script but it is full perm the secoond free but states anything it is used in must be no mod / no transfer.

I was wondering if I should try sell it and how much? Im not fond of those restrictions myself, considered giving it away on market maybe asking for donations (to encurage me to make more things :) )

it's will fly, is quite small maybe 3m x 1.5m x 1m, I had not textured it outside the base colours but I think it looks ok like that, anythoughts on the subject?

Just because a script is full perm does not mean that you can use it how you want, set the permissions as you wish or use it in free stuff.  Things used for building are generally full perm so builders can use it and sell the product, but they have a license that comes with them that gives specific restrictions on how you can sell an end product that you use it in.  You need to find out what license the creator uses.  If in doubt, contact the creator and ask.

If you can sell your product because the license allows it, it is difficult for anyone to advise you on how much to charge or even if it is likely to sell unless they see it and try it out to see how it functions.  From you description it sound like a fairly simple build with free scripts that are simple or outdated old school (that's generally why they are free).  You didn't texture it, which also is going to work against you.  So all considered, you probably won't get much for it even if you do manage to sell it.  The vehicle market is very competitive.

To sell it on MP you need to set a price, you can't sell something for whatever people are willing to donate as you owe a commission to LL if you make any money on it.  So you give it away for free or set a price.  Those are the only two choices.

• Like 1

all I can find on the full perm script, is it's creator David Street, there is no information, notecard or anything about usability at all, maybe I will try contact him or ask wher I got the script.

as for as copyrights and laws go, I have seen people selling ripped copyrighted music and material pulled from other games all over the place here and not cheap considering the effort!, I thought LL just didn't care? but I totally agree about respecting peoples licenes, part of why I asked.

as for my vehicle its my own design, I didn't copy it from any game, maybe I just have not looked hard enough but I did had not seen much else like it on the market (maybe too niche in the first place?) about it being untextured, I was going for plastic look but I could add some to up the detail a little.

I had no idea they took commissions, is this only a market thing? what do they take from $L?

thanks for the response.

edit:after a little searching I found something similar to what I made for $L3 although I feel mine is a little more detailed, so maybe I will try :)

LL takes a 5% commission from any money you get for selling on MP.  That is to pay for their service of running it. If the commission is under $1L they don't take it.

They don't take commission if you sell in world, but then you have to buy or rent land and pay rent or tier for a store whether you actually sell anyhting or not.  At least with MP you don't pay until you sell.

I'm glad you care about IP rights and will check things out.  I tell people that just because someone else is doing wrong doesn't justify me or anyone else doing wrong.  You also can't expect people to honor your IP rights if you don't honor other's rights.

Larrona wrote:

as for as copyrights and laws go, I have seen people selling ripped copyrighted music and material pulled from other games all over the place here and not cheap considering the effort!, I thought LL just didn't care?

That doesn't mean we shouldn't care. ;)

As for the full perm script, if you got it from a legal source with no user license included, it should be safe to include in a build you sell or give away. I do recommend you change the permissions to no modify and either copy or transfer (depending on the perms for the build as a whole) before you distribute it.

Now, the question whether you should list it for sale or not, that's up to you of course. But you should keep in mind that the chances anybody will actually buy anything from a new single item store on MP is microscopic. You need to market your work for anybody to notice it at all and you can't do that on MP, you have to do it inworld, on blogs and elsewhere on the big interweb.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3234 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.