Materials reverting oddly

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had a hellish day trying to get materials to offset. I have done this before many times but not lately. Thinking it is a bug (server - viewer) but haven't seen anything on the forums about it.

All is fine until you need to offset a normal map (probably specular too but I wasn't using those today much). If you need to nudge it a bit like .05430 or whatever or even a larger amount to exactly match the diffuse texture, it takes the value and then reverts to an odd number like .65420  -- nothing close to what you were trying to do.

I am using Firestorm but wasn't willing to install the Linden viewer to test since it has taken me two weeks to get all my viewer issues worked out and today was the first day I wasn't crashing (yeah).

If I did tried several times it would eventually stick. I had one face however that would NOT -- no matter how many times I tried  -- do an offset. This was a regular prim, not even mesh works into the scenario. I had both mesh and prims which were problems this morning.

So just wondering what is up. It was painful. I hope it gets fixed soon. If you aren't needing to offset then there is no issue as far as I can see.

thanks for any info.

Not the same thing :D. This only happens on materials "layers" like normal, not on the diffuse texture layer.  And you can watch the offset number change dramatically right before your eyes.   I am done with  my project and going to see if it REALLY has stuck. Be on the lookout though. Hope it gets fixed.

When you make mesh, this isn't going to come up often. The only reason it did for me is that I had to TAKE APART A BUILD THAT UPLOADED PERFECTLY ON THREE OTHER GRIDS so that I could import it to Second Life -- the place it was designed for.

The uploader would simply NOT upload the file even using its own physics engine. So I ended up with some parts mesh and the single walls as prims -- hence some alignment issues that I normally wouldn't have.

I think the problem is also that people try to change things before the server is fully updated with their previous change. :matte-motes-nerdy:

Remember that what you see on the screen is NOT immediately what the server sees yet. It takes time for the server to get that data and when it does it seems to send a message back with all the prim properties.

The problem is when it sends that message back, the viewer wipes your latest settings. This is definitely a bug.

So (rather frustratingly) the only solution is to change the settings REALLY SLOWLY. :matte-motes-yawn:

Thats why typing (pasting is better) the settings helps a little bit because when you spam the buttons it creates a laggy mess of communication between the viewer and the server.

Hopefully they will improve the frequency of server communication for material properties in future updates.

Also, having a faster internet speed helps a great deal with this issue. :matte-motes-smile:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.