hacking attempt

Rayleen Dover

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have no idea how this happened. I was at help island and an avatar asked me for 30L's.. it was such a small amount I gave it to him/her. Within  a few moments there was numerous attempts to purchase L's from the linden exchange. They were all denied thank goodness. How could they do that as they would have to get onto my home page to buy the L's. I changed my password when I saw the attempts. The attempts were all in my name and this has left me so confused as I always thought to give someone some L's would be safe.  I would be grateful for any explanation about this issue .

Thank you  Rayleen Dover.

5 answers to this question

Lindel,

I'm guessing that the OP was asked for Lindens by an Avatar Named object! During the giving process she accidentally said yes to the Grant Permission warring. After this the object could delete the Lindens from her account at will. I've seen this type of scam a few times in the past.

But there must have been a password component to this scam.

Rayleen, did you have to authorize in your current SL session wuith this avatar again with your password?

• Like 1

@ KarenMichelle:  If your guess is correct, and the OP rezzed an object that requested permission to take money from her account, a password would not be required.  Once this permission is granted, any time the object is rezzed in world it can deduct any amount of money from your account...or take it all.

However, the OP says there were "attempts to purchase $L from the exchange," presumably with her Rayleen Dover account.  The account debiting object scam can't produce this sort of behavior.  I still am scratching my head, but think the OP's best course is to change her password and report the suspected person for possible fraud and/or identity theft.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.