To control two avatars at the same time (both at the same location; they can see each other)....

Dorsai Osterham

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

To control two avatars at the same time (both at the same location; they can see each other).... 

... other than loading two copies of the Linden Viewer, one must ???

I seem to recall there was a way.

UPDATE 120403.1538-4: Thanks to both; my memory from 2009 had a 'third' solution that clearly was of my mind's making.

2 answers to this question

“Out of the box” you should be able to run more than one copy of your viewer without doing anything. If you try and it doesn't work, then try this:

• go to Advanced → Debug Settings; a small window will open
  • type: AllowMultipleViewers
  • set the value to TRUE
  • relog

Macs do have a problem running multiple instances sometimes, so see http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_multiple_firestorm  for clues about how to make a Mac behave.

You can also set a command line preference for multiple instances. On Windows, you can specify command line parameters as follows:

1. Create a shortcut to the SecondLife.exe executable.
  2. Edit the shortcut properties
  3. Add --multiple in the first editable text field, at the end of the line, after the closing quotation mark, if any.

To do the same thing on a Mac,

1. Right-click or Control+Click on the Second Life icon and select Show Package Contents.
  2. Browse from there to Contents > Resources.
  3. Look for a file called arguments.txt. If it does not exist, create it. The full path is Second Life.app/Contents/Resources/arguments.txt.
  4. Inside arguments.txt, add any command line arguments you want (again, --multiple in this case), one per line. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.