Who or what are Alt's

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Feldspar Millgrove wrote:

When you are listening to streaming music (or other media) in Second Life, you are actually connecting directly to someone's server.  Their server is not part of, not under the control of, Second Life.  It is controlled by the person who is providing the music/media.  The way that the Internet works is by IP Address.  When you listen to streaming music, you are telling someone your IP Address.  That's just how the Internet works.

Now that you've given your IP Address to someone, nothing stops them from noticing that the same IP Address is being used by some other people (in your household, or whatever).

thats not a problem at all..

it's when they can tell what avatars are on which ip is when it becomes a problem..

if there are 10 to 15 avatars in a club and they can pick out which ones are on what ip's..they are using something  else as well to line up those avatars with ip's..

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i'm waiting for the day when me and my husband go to a club and someone calls me a bot or my husband a bot and tells me he is my alt or tells him i am his..

i'm not gonna make a big deal of it right then and there..i'll just make an  AR and right after that get with the GZ group  to check the place out and make sure they were guessing from the stream ..because if there is a scanner there..we will find it hehehe

lol, that''s the point where you jokingly suggest that you are actually the alt of the clown accusing you and just let everyone wonder. See how the hell they like it.

Yea, IP's are integral to the internet and how it works. The problem with it in SL is that the possible negative reprecussions can be much more serious than having a bunch of unwanted spam in your email if you happen to browse the wrong site. We're in an envorinment where people get to know one another and details of their personal lives get shared, be it a little or a lot.

I used to admin on a fairly popular furum for a video game. Naturally there were griefers or people that got disgruntled and returned with a different user name to cause trouble now and then. The site owner would sometimes advise 'remove all posts by 'turbo99' or whatever and keep an eye on that IP. (wasn't the actual name, just throwing something out there as an example) but neither of us had any clue who Turbo99 was or even where they were. They were just a name on a forum.

Here, it can be a lot different. If you've ever been stalked or recieved threats of violence extending to your family members, maybe you understand a bit better. Or if you had to pack up and move to some scrubville town in the sticks that had no internet and spend 2 months with no net access while the cops have your former residence under surveilance, only to return to SL and find that the person is still here, with all their own alts, still involved in the same club. o.O

Any self appointed cop can abuse this stuff here, and in the end, no one knows for certain who is at the keyboard unless they are standing in the room watching them right then.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.