invisible prim?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

I am stumped and hope someone can help me. I have a prefab that I unlinked to retexture--something I've done many times before. However in this case when I relinked the house I am unable to walk through part of it...it's obvious that I'm hitting something but when I do ctrl+a+t there is no invisibile or transparent prim.  I am completely stymied by this. Any help would be appreciated!

Hi Scooter! Thanks for your reply. This is a house I bought over a year ago, before mesh was popular. Is it likely that it would still contain mesh?

Also--I know how to choose one side of a prim to texture but didn't know I could texture one prim while it's linked to 20 others. You are saying this is possible?

thanks!

Just have the "Edit Linked" box checked when you select the prim(s) to change. It's also a good idea to avoid delinking things because it could end up messing with scripts in the object, especially if you change the root prim.

Since it's already been delinked though, I suppose you could delink it again and slide pieces around til you find the one blocking the space.

Ruby Reynaud wrote:

Hi Scooter! Thanks for your reply. This is a house I bought over a year ago, before mesh was popular. Is it likely that it would still contain mesh?

Also--I know how to choose one side of a prim to texture but didn't know I could texture one prim while it's linked to 20 others. You are saying this is possible?

thanks!

Yes Ruby, as mentioned elsewhere here, check the "Edit Linked" box and you can then select the individual prims in the linkset. The reason to do it this is that you will preserve the ordering of the prims in the set, which may be important to scripts within. When you unlink, that ordering is lost. Upon re-linking, the last prim selected as you aggregate for the link becomes the root prim. If you drag select the entire set, I'm not sure how the ordering is determined.

In addition, if I recall correctly, the root-prim propagates its phantom/non-phantom setting to all child prims. There is a script workaround for this that exploits a bug allowing child prims to be set phantom. If your house was not all phantom, it's possible that such a script made phantom the child prim that now blocks you because the prim ordering has changed and the script is phantomizing the wrong prim.

Of course I could be completely wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

Just a big WOOOOOT and thank you to all who answered my post...After learning how to retexture a prim without unlinking the whole house there's no stopping me!  The house is now totally retextured and I'm not dealing with that weird transparent prim issue!

Man don't you wish you could just rezz a new house in RL that easily?

:)

Come to think of it--I wish most of RL was as easy as SL!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.