I received $L from someone I don't know for a reason I don't recognize at all. Have they hacked me?

Angel Hendes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

You think you've been hacked because someone gave you $L?

Most likely not. She could have given you $L for any number of reasons. It seems likely that perhaps she mistook you for someone else, which is easy to do, especially with display names.

If you don't know why she gave you $L, how do you know if her answer "corresponded to the truth?" The answer may not have made sense to you, but it probably did to her. I don't think you were hacked; it was probably just a case of mistaken identity. Personally, I would send her the money back and explain to her that you think she might have gotten the wrong person. If she's insistant, she can send the money back to you. Being given $L is not a sign that you've been hacked.

• Like 1

You haven't been hacked.  About the only way your account can be "hacked" is if you devulge your password to someone or have such an easy to guess password that someone guessed it and gained access to your account........niether of those are a hack though.  Being given Lindens unexpectedly is usually someone mistakenly giving them to you (such as trying to give the person near you Lindens and accidently clicking on your avatar instead of the person they intended to click).  Most people immediately know what happened and give the Lindens back.  But, sometimes people will actually intend to give Lindens to newbies (often without comment)....I've done that several times since I've been in SL.  The last time I did it was a a New Years party.........everyone still at the party got $L100 just before I logged off for the night.

• Like 1

Actually, "she" even told me that she sent me a gift which I discarded as the whole thing was getting suspicious. I was asking her several questions on why she was sending me money and they were irrelevant...even the name she called me with....As a matter of fact, right after that another female avatar sent me another 50$L but I logged out as I was feeling under some sort of spam attack. Maybe I am overreacting, but both avatars had almost no information in their profile.

You are overreacting ^_^ Calm down a little. Just because some people have chosen to send you some money doesn't mean you're being hacked. Pretty much every case of hacking I've ever heard of in SL has occurred because:

1) The person who was hacked shared their password with another resident, who then took over the account or shared the password with someone else and that person "stole" the account.

2) The person who was hacked went onto a phishing site and entered their SL username and password. These sites often masquarade as ways to get free $L - "fill out X survey and get $L," "you've won!! Click here to claim $L prize," etc.

If you have done neither of those two things, you have not been hacked. Again, I think they ran into someone who name was similar to yours or who used a display name similar to your username or display name, and paid you on accident. Mistaken identity. The alternative is that someone was just being nice and giving you a few $L to help you out, if you looked new. Take a deep breath and calm down. Nothing to worry about. You can thank them politely and move on, or just leave it be and get on with your SL.

Lots of people don't bother to fill in their profiles for a variety of reasons. Doesn't mean she's a hacker. Maybe she's an alt who gives $L because she doesn't want her main account stalked by beggars, or something.

It IS a good idea not to accept and wear or rez objects given to you by other residents, as those can sometimes be scams. Not always, but it's a good policy. $L is nothing to worry about, though.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.