Why does my internet connection go crappy when I use secondlife ?

Lone Jacobs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My internet connection goes crappy as soon as I use SL.   If I use Phoenix 1.6.1600, everything works fine.  If I use anything after that (ie. 2.0/3.0 versions)   my internet goes to crap and will not load anything.  Alos with later version I cannot tp or cross regions.  im stuck in whatever sim I land in.

My system is this...

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor (2800.04 MHz)
Memory: 6144 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.9573
OpenGL Version: 4.2.0

6.0 Mbs Interner from Earthlink

I'm adding this because i dont know how to reply to a answered question.     It is not my internet or anything else.  my internet if 100% fine until i  go to a V2.0/3.0 viewer in SL and then it turns to crap.   No pages load  or anything,  So its a Viewer issue somehow shuting down my internet,even though i have NO idea how that could happen.

6 answers to this question

If it is your internet connection that is crappy, that might be due to the time of the day that you're online, and possibly sharing your broadband service with other people - all those bl**dy Twits and FB-ers cluttering up the line :matte-motes-mad:

And if you're using wireless, you'll get worse peformance on SL too.

Things you can do to improve your performance in SL are keep your graphics settings low, avoid busy sims, or sims that are using tons of scripts, and keep your own scripts down to a minimum.

Other suggestions will follow from more technically-minded forum folk than I. Hopefully something will provide solutions to your current frustrations.

Edited to add: V3 users should be able to offer ways of tweaking it so it performs as well for you as Phoenix does.  I'm a Phoenix user mainly, but don't find a ton of difference performance-wise when I flit between this and V3.  TPs are sometimes a bit dodgy on V3 for me, but I got into the habit of removing my Omicron HUD, and that seems to work for me. 

This sounds like a network/connection related issue somhow.

Have a look at the performance panel in the viewer (ctrl+shift+1) and check the packet loss number close to the top. If you consistently get numbers above 2-3%, try lowering the max bandwidth in preferences (somewhere. I don't know where this is in Phoenix...). I would probably not set it to higher than 1000 kbps with your internet line. Then check the quality of your internet connection. 6 mbs should be enough speed, but the quality of the connection might not be up to the task. Check by running the test at http://www.pingtest.net/ and see what result you get. Also try to disable http textures in the viewer (don't know if this is an issue with Phoenix, but it is in the LL viewer) although this should not affect sim crossings...

- Luc -

Glad you LOLd, Luc. I'm struggling with my internet connection right in this moment, since the kids came out of school for the day. This street is full of them, and I just know my connection issues are because they're all twitering away like little birdies - oh or they might just be researching via the internet for their homework (haha right!)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.