Second life crashes whenever I use the im.

Yori Aska

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Second life crashes whenever I use the instant messenger. How can I fix this?

I tryed Different veiwers but they all end up the same.

I tryed going to a different sim same thing.

I tryed to see if my norton was blocking it but nothing then I tryed changing the game settings and still it did not work.

It can't be my network since my other computer works fine with no problems.

I think this started to happen about 2 months ago, around christmas.

Edit: I just tryed doing a clean re-installation but even after deleating all the hidden files and everything, still the Im crashes my game.

The game works normally anyother time but as soon as I look at what a person had im me  or if I try to im, i crash.

3 answers to this question

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Yori.

I've not heard about any type of bug that would be doing this, so I would suggest relogging into a different sim and seeing if you still have this problem. 

Also, check your connection.

When did you first start to experience this problem?

To add more to your thread, please click on "options" at the top right hand corner of your original post and "edit".

• Like 1

Hello Yori and welcome to SL Forums. I would suggest you to make a clean re-install. This will restore all your default settings. So:

1) Uninstall all viewers using the windows control panel

2) Navigate and delete all files into the following folders:

• (Vista) and (Win 7) - C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ Secondlife
  • C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData \ Roaming \ SecondLife

If you have other vierews installed in your computer do the same for all of them, following the same paths in your hard disk. For example: C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ PhoenixViewer

3)Download a fresh copy from http://secondlife.com/support/downloads/

See if that makes any difference. Good luck.

yes i agree with what the others said....in exception

to cleaning ur cache first....

(you can do that in preferences CONTOL+P)........then go to your net work folder clear your cache in there (that shows you where you are storing your cache in your computer~ which you will need to manually go clear~or you cad cheat and see the file path it takes u when u open it up and click your Sl name...clear that-CLICK APPLY)...clear your inventory cache and your normal cache while you are still in your network folder....then clear your browser cache...(in your web folder)...then clear bothof the browser caches (after that CLICK APPLY)...then do control+alt+D to go to your advanced menu....clear your group cache....then log out.....then you log back in you will see that it will take forver to get your Sl screen bck for log in but its ok....its clearing your caches...relax...get a cup of coffee and by the time u get back you can try to log back in.....

When your get back on you will need to check your inventory.....it will reset down to 1000 out of what ever u have...be patient as it reloads....you reload it by pressing  "A"...let it cycle through...then "E"....then let that cycle through...then "I" then let that cycle through......the "O" then let that cycle through...and  "U" let it cycle through..then press "ZZZ" let that cycle through....also then other words ifu dot see all of it...i know its annoying...but sit back...get a cup of coffee...check your email...goon facebook...as it cycles...iknow its annoying (and ihave over 145,000 in my inventory to go through~i feel your pain~LOL)

Try loggin into a different Region...here is a list

• Smith
  • Exeuxoa
  • Anzere
  • Violet
  • Helfell
  • Lime
  • Aqua
  • Squall
  • Itress

IF you can get back on change your group tag to (none)....some times strange characters like "<" and  ">" gets messed up thus making your loggin in a big issue

Some times turning off your moden helps (i mean unplug it...not for 30 seconds...for 3-5 minutes) AND restart your computer (not restart..but FULL SHUT DOWN...for at least 3-5 minutes) see some times your processor has information stuck in it still and it take a little while for it to all go to "0"...or completely clear.

If you are STILL having issues conduduct a Speed test.... http://www.speedtest.com this will tell you if your internet is compatable with what SL requires.

Keep trying to login to a different Region. if you cant log in. Some regions do a restart and you cannot go until its finished with its restart...even regions need to clear their cache....LOL

please contact me in world if  you  need help...it will be my pleasure to help you in world

Lishajoya Haven

p.s. try that first...then if it still doesnt work u will need to reinstall a new viewer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.