Problems with teleporting

Kamikaze78

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Ok, I have 2 computers... one has problems with second life, and the other doesnt.

System 1 : Asus M3N-HT Deluxe Motherboad, AMD Black 9850 2.75Ghz Quad Core, 4 GB DDR3, GeForce 210 ( Also Tryed GeForce 8800 GT ) on Windows 7 64-Bit.

System 2 : Sabertooth X58 Motherboad, Intel Core 17 3.07 GHz Quad Core, 6 GB DDR3,  GeForce GTX 460, on Windows 7 64-Bit.

System 1 Problems : I have a hard time teleporting places, it always tells me ("Sorry, but the system was unable to complete your teleport request in a timely fasion. Please try again in a fre minutes") and sometimes end up stuck under buildings, I can never log in with the regular second life viewer and sometimes firestom view sometimes has problems loging in. I also have problems changing clothing as well It takes a long time to load.

System 2 Problems : None! In any viewer!

Why do things work fine on system 2 but not on system 1? Does Second Life have issues with AMD? I need system 1 working, cause I can rarely use system 2. Both systems are connected to a Actiontec Pk 5000 Modem / Router. I have tried changing the ethernet caple, and have even tried a wierless card in system 1 which didnt help at all. So both systems will be effectied by same firewall(s) or software. Anyone have any ideas?

2 answers to this question

Your problem system is considerably less powerful than your "good" system, but it should still be able to run SL.  Second Life does not have problems with AMD processors that I'm aware of.

I would check the *software* firewall settings of the problem system.  Wouldn't hurt to add more RAM to it as well.  With just 4 GB, it's probably running pretty hard to keep up.

Check ALL the drivers of the older system (chipset drivers, network drivers, graphics drivers especially).  Update any that have newer versions available.  Update the motherboard's BIOS too, if there is a later version available from ASUS.

Any mesh-enabled viewer (Viewer 3, Firestorm, Phoenix Mesh version) is going to put a lot of stress on your older system.  Consider going back to Phoenix 1185.

Teleports can be made less stressful by putting your avatar on a diet.  Don't wear high-prim items, don't wear items with a lot of scripts in them.  Keep your Friends list and your inventory pared down.

• Like 1

I agree. You don't say what viewer you are using on the system that isn't working, but "downgrading" (some folks would disagree with that term *wink*) to Phoenix would be the most likely step. You could also try running on lesser graphics than ultra if that is what you have things set at.

With the introduction of mesh, viewers took a bit hit in performance. Now many folks can only get into world with Phoenix or Singularity or Imprudence (doesn't do mesh as far as I know). So, give another viewer a try and see if that helps. Reportedly Singularity is the "lightest' hit on performance for a mesh viewer. I use Firestorm, but my system is more robust than yours.

Good luck. You might also get a better graphics card with more ram. Graphics cards are typically the bottleneck in systems trying to run SL viewers.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.