Is this pc ok for playing SL?

lndulgence

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You may want to do some research in this forum and over at SLUniverse. AMD's video cards do not support OpenGL as well as nVidia does. While that is a bit debatable right now, over the 3 years I've been in SL AMD/ATI has not supported OpenGL as well as they might have.

You can see what performance others are getting with various hardware in: How Fast is Your Viewer? - Second Life.

You can find a number of posts like: Terrible, Terrible FPS - EVGA Nvidia GTX 580 superclocked. While the individual has a hot gaming machine, they are not getting the performance they expected. Someone building and using a machine for Battlefield 3 comes into SL and is disappointed. Most other games run on DirectX. SL runs on OpenGL.

I am not sure how much optimization the Lab is doing to get the most out of OpenGL. They have been working on compatibility issues and memory leaks. I am guessing they aren't heavily into optimization for OpenGL 4.x yet. So, understand you are not going to get great frames rates.

Also, most video drivers do not install control panel settnigs for Second Life that are that good. So, expect to tweak your viewer and video control panel settings. See: Graphics Tweaking for Second Life.

I really like your blog.

And thank you, I went through all pages you named, its a bit confusing but I'll read it again when I find more time. 

What I wanted is to be able to run SL without going into all those adjustments, just login and spend some time inworld in some nice relaxing place:) but seems most people need to do those tweaks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.