modify a "dead" item

Vyse89

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I purchased some time ago an Eames Lounge Chair item.  I wanted it because I love the look of a good Eames and this fit the bill.  Unfortunately when sitting on it your avatar seems to have  stroke and assumes a wild position of falling through the seat.  Unfortunately, it's "no modify"  and even more unfortunately, I have been totally unable to contact the maker of the item, and by all appearances they've stopped with SL altogether and closed up shop.  So, by all appearances there's no way whatsoever of fixing this problem.

I'm wondering if there is ANY way of making a "no modify" object modifiable?  because if there's not then I essentially threw away a few hundred Lindens.

A possible (inelegant) solution, is to cover the entire chair with a cube prim, which you would hide with a full alpha channel texture. This would make the prim clickable instead of the chair itself. Then use something like the Multi Pose Sit System or similar to embed your animations into the invisible prim, and then set up the AV positioning to give the illusion of sitting on the original chair itself.

For multiple AVs, you would probably have to use a separate prim per AV, with the invisible prims set roughly where you would want to click etc.

Not ideal, but a possible way to get more usage from your chair.

:matte-motes-smile:

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

The solution of sticking an invisible prim over it and sticking new sit poses in that is a good one. Copying an object in order to change the permissions isn't, since that's copybotting and is...not a good thing.

Manual copying of an item to get a like/similar prim structure is NOT copybotting. It may not be the most polite thing to do (especially if the original creator is still active), and there will be times it infringes on IP, but the act itself is simply copying. Copybotting, well, requires the use of a copybot. Granted it is hard or even impossible at times to tell the difference when looking at the end product.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.