Why does it take so long to upload mesh?

Aurelia Chauveau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been playing around testing out how to upload mesh and it takes FOREVER! I just had a simple plane with a few bumps in it and calculating it waiting for the upload button to appear is like watching grass grow - I tried something more complex, and it calculated fine but then pressed upload and it just sat there... Is this normal?? While typing this I'm trying again and I'm waiting for the upload button to stop being greyed out.... Whats the normal wait time for everyone to upload?

I am obviously new to uploading mesh and I will mostly be doing clothing rigged and non rigged stuff but for now I'm just uploading anything to see how it works.

Aurelia :D

I am sure some of it has to do with the size of the file you are trying to upload and the speed at which your internet connection can upload.  I also know that LL checks the file to make sure everything is ok and I am sure this process takes a while and the larger more complex the mesh the longer this process takes.

One thing I have noticed is that it can take me several attempts to upload the same exact mesh with no differences in the upload settings.  It might be due to my internet connection cutting out for a split second right during upload process which can happen from time to time.

I had things not upload on the Beta Viewer but then I log on with the default LL viewer and it uploads fine.  Might be the viewer or just the hit and miss luck I been having with mesh upload.

I hope that helps.

Yeah it's not a huge file at all :(  And I have cancelled a few times and tried again and sometimes it calculates really quick but then doesn't want to upload.. it seems all over the place.

Yeah I am using the default LL viewer so not sure what the case is, might be my internet. thanks for replying :D

I've experienced this frequently of late. It seems very "hit or miss" and unrelated to the complexity of the mesh. 

I no longer wait. If things appear to be hanging up I just reset and recalculate.  Sometimes (and I think this is most likely superstitious magic thinking on my part) I change the scale and restore the size back in the uploader and then recalculate and it seems to upload very quickly after I do that which probably works because it's just another way of resetting for recalculation.

If you are trying to upload the texture at the same time as the mesh try uploading the texture separately and then manually adding them to your mesh in SL.

I use Maya and SL doesn't seem to like the default Lambert for some reason.  I had luck with applying a new Lambert to my mesh and it uploaded fine.

Another thing I done is edit the DAE file in a word processor.  For some reason my version of Maya always makes Y axis up on the DAE file even though I have changed it in my Preferences for Z to be up in Maya.

Since you say it is a fairly simple mesh I am assuming that the mesh isn't weighted to the avatar skeleton?  What program are you using?

Cathy Foil wrote:

For some reason my version of Maya always makes Y axis up on the DAE file even though I have changed it in my Preferences for Z to be up in Maya.

Strange, did you set Z as the up axis in the Axis Conversion field of the DAE exporter as well as in the world coordinate system in Maya preferences?

*sigh* no...

I did get it to (actually) calculate a bit faster the second upload try this time, was able to press the upload button, but then it greyed out after pressing and the window just sat there waiting to upload the actual file. I waited 5 mins and then pressed cancel because nothing happened :|

I have tried uploading several different times during the day (so like over a 12 hour period) and no luck - it might be my internet connection as it has dropped out entirely a couple of times today - could be weather issues too.. rain rain go away!

I shall try again in the middle of the day mid-week - internet traffic (if it has anything to do with it) might be slower at that time and I might have more luck.... *shrug*

Hi Aurelia, I've been having similar problems. I'm totally new to mesh creation and so it's very possible that I'm doing something wrong, though I did read the wiki and some tutorials on the appropriate steps for uploading.

What's happening to me is that when I hit the "calculate" button, the process just stalls completely. I was able to successfully upload 1 model yesterday, but that was it. Since then, every time I hit that "calculate" button, it stalls. I've waited up to half an hour with no progress.

I kinda gave up this morning and hopped over to the forums to see if anyone else was having these problems.

I have my world coordinate system in Maya set to Z up but since I am using an older version of Maya I have to use two different plugins depending on what I am doing.

Neither plugin export options have a selection for making Z up on export.  One plugin uses Collada 1.4.1 and it exports Z up just fine so no need to edit the DAE file in a word processor program.  The second Collada plugin uses 1.4.0 and no matter what Maya's world coordinate is set to always exports as Y up though in order for the file to be uploadable to SL I have to have my world coordinate set to Z up in Maya before exporting and then edit the DAE file and change it from Y to Z up in a word processing program.

It is not a horrible thing to have to do.  Just adds about 20 seconds of work though the plugin that uses 1.4.0.  It also doesn't like texture files added to the mesh.  You can have, I think it is 8 different Lamberts provided they don't have a texture files linked to them.  This means I have to upload my textures and apply them manually once I rezzed the mesh in SL.  Again an extra step but not a big deal.

The plugin that uses 1.4.1 has no problem with Lambers that have a texture file in them but it won't do avatar weighted/skinned mesh.

If I could just afford a newer version of Maya. LOL

Aurelia try uploading an example DAE file from LL.  I downloaded the truck, and while at first I had the physics set too high, it uploaded fine.  I picked the truck because it was the biggest file.  You might want to try a smaller one first.

If they don't upload then you will know at least it is not Maya but perhaps your viewer or internet connection.  If they upload fine then something is wrong with the DAE files you are creating.

If that is the case then we need to look at what version of Maya are you using and what plugins or converter program.

Here is a link to LL example DAE files:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Sample_Content

Hope that helps. :)

P.S. Nurbs do not work. All mesh must be polygon or converted to polygon before exporting.

Yeah, thing is that I have uploaded mesh earlier this week with no issues (well the second one did take a bit to upload) because I have 2 mesh items sitting on the floor of my skybox right now. So I know there isn't any issue with my .dae exporter or anything.

I'm using polygons, no nurbs. I tried using the lamppost from the LL page, it wont calculate even though MY mesh did calculate but not upload...

To test it out, I have tried again this morning to import those exact same meshes in again and it's not working :(  But am glad to hear that I am not the only one having issues with this!!

I might have to uninstall the SL viewer and re-install to see if that might work...

*kicks her SL* just work!! LOL

NO WAY!! It worked!!!!

HAHAHAHA OMG reinstalling the viewer actually worked (it was just whatever viewer I had last downloaded, it's not the latest version) LOL but what I also did was press calculate, and it was super fast, and then upload and it just did it - but also pressed the reset button at same time to see if it worked and it uploaded immediately!!

So try installing an older viewer Audrey and see if it works for you :D

Thanks everyone for all your help :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.