latest official viewer: no organizing under recent??

Benski Trenkins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4509 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Quick question because this is driving me nuts!!

Normally I use the phoenix mesh enabled viewer, but since I work in Mesh, I need to use the SL viewer.

(Yes phoenix can upload mesh, but it's too buggy and messes up my models on texturing etc)

I am so used to organize my things immediatly after uploading, and I always do that under recent. But i cannot move a single thing under the recent tab?

So my question is: is there some thing wrong in my settings (I do hope so!) or is this normal behavior? (that would be dumb)

Thank you, that I knew already, but I find it idiotic that I cannot move it simply within the same tab.

In the old viewer, I never did it by using a 2nd inventory window, the reason I found it handy in Recent was the short list of files and folders. Once I move one object, for instance a mesh upload, the hard way with 2 windows, afterwards, the other things I uploaded simply were a quick move from object folder to the folder where object 1 already is in as well.

That way I did not constantly have to open a second inventory window while building, and I am the type that wants things to be where they should be right away, not afterwards organizing, that works counter productive for me.

Am checking where I can vote for having that original behavior back into the viewer, because it is stupid that it was taken out. I see no reason why you should NOT be able to move things around under the recent tab.

This surely slows my flow down severely.

When I use Recent I only see a few folders, those with things that meet the recent filter. With so few folders showing I would never be able to reorganize. I use two windows to avoid scrolling all over the place. 

Showing only folders with recent items is intended behavor. You can open a feature request in the JIRA. https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

If you don't like how recent works, this should get you going: 

Second Life’s Simplified Inventory Project

I'll explain how I usually work:

When I upload a texture or model for a new building I work on, I use 2 windows to move that texture or model to the folder where I want it to be.

After that, as long as I keep working, that folder is visible in recent, because there is at least 1 new recent file in it.

So any other texture or model I upload afterwards for the same building, I simply drag n drop in that same folder. That way I keep files for a specific building in one folder.

My issue is, now I cannot do that this way any longer, so any new model or texture, I need to open again a new window, and drag and drop it that way. Which for me is counter productive.

Lots would say, what's the point, just organize after you're done with the building. Which is one way to work, but not my way, I want things to be where they need to be right away, like how I work in my garage, put the wrench back in it's proper place during and not afterwards.

I know I might be kinda neurotic that way, but I simply cannot understand why they would take that feature out that you can move within the recent tab.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4509 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.