Maya rigged mesh upload no options problem

Satu Moreau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am at my wits end here, tearing my hair out and about to cry.

I have a properly rigged mesh created in Maya and exported as dae properly, I go to upload, it shows it just fine, but under the option for avatar models, the options are all greyed out. PLEASE HELP.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I've followed tutorial after tutorial down to the letter and have the same process and yet their's works and mine won't allow for rigged mesh? What is going on?!

Before you say "properly rigged", please check the following:

1.  Are all your bones named correctly?  If you imported the skeleton into the scene, you might have extra prefixes and such in the names that don't belong.  Make sure all that stuff is wiped out.

2.  Did you do a smooth bind?  SL doesn't seem to be able to understand rigid binds from Maya.

3.  In the bind options, did you make sure "Remove unused infuences" was unchecked?  SL requires that all 26 bones of the skeleton be present, even if some of them have zero influence.

lookoing at your mesh..

Did at any point did you move the joints of your skeleton?  What unit set up is the Skeleton?

TO me it looks like the bones were moved from the default position either thrugh translation or rotation (though in truth, if you rotate the joints, the skeleton will not export.)  I tried moving joint positions to conform to the mesh and was greeted with similar problems. Currently the skeleton cannot be moleted in anyw ay if youw ant a clean import into SL, That meanns adjusting the models proportions to fit the skeleton, rather than the industry ractice which is to fit the skeleton to the mesh.  As such, any disproportionate, or cartoony characters are difficult, until such time as the sensitivity of the skeleton is fixed by the Lendens.   Make the geometry to the Sl default skeleton, and  use the sliders to change the groos proportions.

--Karl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.