Help - preventing end users from dragging items from the content pane

Iva Rhapsody

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4498 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Actually, you can still access the contents pane and drag the boxed items into inventory.. it removes the no copy item from the vendor and drops it into your inventory.. an oversight on LL's part I feel.. if it's no mod then you shouldn't even be able to see the inventory in my opinion

One cannot drag a content item regardless what it is from the content of a no-modify object. Period. There are no miracles in SL. Additionally if an object is no-modify, the "Open" object menu option would be blank. Such an object cannot be Opened, only Edited to inspect. If your vendor behaves differently its permissions are incorrect.

The above of course applies to objects one does not own.

If the other person doesn't own the object, it's not a problem, but the OP is trying to make an affiliate vendor, which the affiliate needs to own, and doesn't want the affiliate to be able to remove items from the contents.    I think the only work-round is to have the vendor not contain anything but a script that communicates with a server.

If a vendor is intended for use by a person other than its creator all items in the vendor must be copy and transfer, otherwise the person actually using the vendor (end-seller) would not be able to sell from it. This gives the end-seller a full access to the product, regardless of modify permission. The end-seller may now move the products to another vendor to sell for their own price, post in the Marketplace, or even give away.

For this reason affiliate vendors indeed should not contain any product. The products are usually stored in an in-world server which communicates with affiliate vendors. As a handshake between an affiliate vendor and a server cannot be guaranteed in-world, a web server is usually deployed as an intermediary. In other words while it is possible to construct  an affiliate vendors system entirely in-world it cannot be 100% reliable unless an off-world web server is implemented.

Creating such system from scratch requires advanced programming skills and in my opinion would be possible only by a professional developer.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4498 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.