Axis control?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thanks in advance for any help on this...

I'm using the latest version of Firestorm so this may vary if you use a different veiwer.

I was elated to see that I can (within the veiwer settings) change where the xyz axis is on a prim before or even after I create a prim, simply by selecting a new set of numbers then hitting ok. Hurrah!

I was almost immediately DEflated to discover that the only feature this seams to effect is rotation of the prim :(

Don't get me wrong, that's a wonderful feature in itself, saving a whole lot of calculation or eye-balling when you have to flip a prim on an angle in relation to anything else. Long overdue. But it has no effect for the other tools most of which have a much greater need for axis control. Most notably is the hollow feature, but would also be helpful with top shear and bottom slice and really anything else there.

I'm really hoping I am just missing a setting or checkbox or something.

For anyone interested in offering a work-around to my immediate issue, I'm building a home and would really like to be able to have one (or prefferably more than one) offset hollow in a larger prim for windows and doors of the home. It was really only a minor improvement to allow prims up to 64x64 if I still have to hodge-podge 10-20 prims together in order to have a long wall with a door and a few windows just because the hollow feature seams to be hardwired to not only the exact center of a prim no matter what, it must also correnspond with the original Z axis, even if you link it to another root and rotate it..

lol, I guess I am a little spoiled as I trained for a while with uni-graphics and a controlable axis point really was the nuts and bolts of that design software and not having it in the build tool here is quite limiting.

I'm struggling to understand what you are doing.  It sounds as if you have discovered that you can input numbers in the Rotation control boxes on the Object page in your Build Edit tool.  You've always been able to do that.  It affects the local rotation of your prim.  You can't change the basic mesh geometry of a prim, though.  That's fixed.  The X,Y,Z axes are always right through the geometric center of the prim. The hole, if you create one, is always going to be aligned with the prim's local Z axis.  Slice is always perpendicular to the Z axis.  You can't change those things that's the way the geometry of prims is defined.

Sounds like you want to do multiple things.

Please correct me if I am wrong

you want to make multiple holes (or hollows) in a prim.

you want to hollow on a different axis.

You want to hollow off center.

you want to be able to shear and and slice and all the other torture methods on different axis then what has been allowed.

so if I understood all that correctly then the answer is ....

NO.

Sorry.  But LL has stated repeatedly ad noseum that this is not going to happen.  We currently have scultp and mesh that allow some work around.  so if you find prims too limiting you might try those.  Please feel free to contact me or post more messages on this forum if you want to know how to get started with those building tools.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.