Viewer crashing on startup @ VFS stage. Any suggestions?

Adelaide Aie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Heyy guys :) I know this question has already been asked a gazillion gillion times but I've followed all the advice I can find and nothing has helped so far so I was hoping someone might have a new insight. I have been having a nightmare with trying to open SL today. Every time I try to load the viewer it crashed at the VFS stage I am using Vista and have already deleted the appdata folder and re-installed which has worked in the past but not this time Please help meee :)

2 answers to this question

Hello Adelaide and welcome to SL Forums. You are right. You can find dozens threads and questions about VFS initilizing textures. Normally you fix the issue if you delete all contests at the following folder: C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ Secondlife However sometimes it is not enough. You have to delete also everything into: C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData \ Roaming \ SecondLife You can except only the folder with your name into the folder SecondLife in order to keep your chat logs and im logs, copying it somewhere else in your hard disk. See if that makes any difference. (Btw re-installation has nothing to do with your issue).

I can't be sure which "all the advice" you may have followed, so I'll suggest first that you clear your cache.  If you have been crashed during the "Initializing VFS" step, that almost always solves the problem.  If that doesn't do it for you, the next step is to clear your cache and all of your settings manually >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=fs_clean_reinstall  . You will lose all of your Preference settings and any customizing that you may have done with Debug Settings, but it will clear your system of all the files that may contain corrupted SL data.  When you restart your viewer, it should rebuild those files -- hopefully without bugs.  If you are considering reinstalling your viewer or installing a different viewer -- your only other option -- you should still go through the manual clearing process first, in order to be sure that your new installation doesn't inherit whatever is buggy in the current one.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.