Viewer closes/crashes as soon as login!!!

Duran Devin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you get logged in then the viewer crashes, it is probably at the point the world starts to render. That suggests it is a video issue. Try starting the viewer and before logging in open Prefernces and turn you graphics settings to LOW. Then try logging in.

Log into a different region, may be Furball. There is a thing going around about cubes with special textures that cause the render pipeline to fail and crash the viewer, if it has shadows on. Going to LOW graphics settings you should avoid that problem and several other video problems.

If that fails, delete or rename your setings file. C:\Users\[win_login_id]\AppsData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings\settings.xml.

Once deleted then try logging in. The viewer will recreate the file with default settings.

If that fails, try installing the Beta version of the viewer. It installs in a separate folder by default and uses its own settings file. The Beta is currently version 3.2.6. The version has all the latest OpenGL fixes. It should give you an idea whether it is your viewer or not.

If everything is going sideways, restart your computer. When SL crashes it can leave parts of the viewer running. All viewer starts after that can have problems and fail.

Be sure you have the latest video driver. With the fixes to OpenGL it is nice to have the latest drivers.

If you decide you want to do a clean install read: Second Life Clean Install

If you are still having problems, let us know. When you do include the information from Help-About in the viewer. You do not have to login to get it. Just start the viewer.

There is a crash log and a standard log in ...Roaming\SecondLife\logs\SecondLife.log. You can read through standard log and may be get an idea what is going wrong. Start at the bottom... end of the file. The error causing the crash will have ended the log.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey I just had the same problem. I kept crashing when logging in with my main avatar (my alt accounts were fine). Took me a few hours to figure out how to fix it. I tried clearing cache manually, clean reinstalling etc. didnt work. so i tried going on sl on a different computer and i saw that my avatar was wearing a crapload of stuff and for some reason it didnt tell me i was wearing all that junk on my first comp so i had no idea. after detaching all the items i could log back into my account on my first comp. yay! So yeah, try logging in on another comp. Hope the suggestion helps anyone out there having the same problem.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.