Static Electric Renderings

Knowl Paine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was thinking of ways to use SL to communicate with individuals who have visual impairments. 

A small static field generator could be used to make a variety of shapes. If you placed your hand over the field generator, you would be able to sense or feel the outer edges (silhoutte) of the shape being transmitted. 

The measurable effectiveness, surely won't be near that of the heavy handed tactility, of which many of us have become so accustomed to, but it would be a start.

A static field braille display pad could evolve to also render basic shapes like squares and spheres. Maybe, in time, a static field generator could display complex shapes. It may be possible to select and move the static shapes.

The ability to "touch" objects in SL would be remarkable.

What do you think?

I welcome comments, insights and opinions about this topic.

I think this is an excellent idea if it could be developed.  Virtual worlds will become more important as time goes on and this would open them up to the visually Impaired as well as perhaps bring a sense of 'touch'  to virtual worlds for everybody and revolutionize them.

I don't know enough about the technology to offer an opinion as to if it could be developed, but if you do, I think it well worth pursuing.

I most definitely don't have enough knowledge on the subject to comment on whether or not it's possible, lol.

But I can comment on how much I would love to see something like this. As a person with visual impairments (I am legally blind), it would be absolutely awesome. I know several others (residents and others who've never joined sl) who would benefit greatly from such technology. I'd love to see something like this pursued. I can see something like this being very beneficial in many ways, not just in SL even.

I think it's an awesome idea.

My initial thought, if it helps any, was..."COOL" :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.