Wear or Attach

newsue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello newsue. The answer in your question at the following link: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Avatar-attachments/ta-p/700031

Personally i rarely use the option "Attach to". I use wear or add.

Example: Let's assume that you wear at your right hand prim nails and you want to hold a drink. If you right click on the drink and wear, it will replace your prim nails. With add, will not. So use the option Add if you want to attach more than 1 items to the same part of your avatar or for clothes with the same layer.

System clothing (non prim clothing) can only be worn.  Prim clothing is attached to the avatar.  When the prim clothing is created the creator uses the attach to put the clothing item on the appropriate part of the avatar, positions it to fine tune how the item is placed.  Once that is done the clothing item can then be "worn" and it will attach to the same point on the avatar that it last attached to (similar to when you move icons around on your desktop and every time you show your desktop or boot your computer up, the icons are where you last moved them).  If a clothing item has not been previously attached to a specific spot on the avatar it and you "wear" it, it will attach to the default location on the avatar (the right hand but it used to be the head).

You can use the attach if you want to move the item to another place on the avatar.  Lets say, for some reason you want to move a bracelet from the left arm to the right arm (or want to make it an anklet instead), you would use "attach", then choose the attachment piont, and fine tune the placement.  Then the next time you "wear" that item it will go to your right arm or you ankle instead of the old place on the left arm.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

You can use the attach if you want to move the item to another place on the avatar.  Lets say, for some reason you want to move a bracelet from the left arm to the right arm (or want to make it an anklet instead), you would use "attach", then choose the attachment piont, and fine tune the placement.  Then the next time you "wear" that item it will go to your right arm or you ankle instead of the old place on the left arm.

That is very handy to know. Thanks!

For most things I will use "add" rather than "wear." Before I knew to use add it was very frustrating not being able to wear multiple things on the same part of the body. Wear is useful for things like changing hair, for instance. By clicking wear the new hair replaces the worn hair, whereas clicking add will put two hairs on. This is usually really weird looking but can sometimes be used for unique effects. This is how I think of & use these functions, anyway..

Jeanne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.