Computer freeze a few minutes after viewer start

Dora Gustafson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4542 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Reference bugtrace VWR-25287
I am at my wits end. I think I tried it all: Clean install of viewer and clean install of graphics driver.

The computer freezes about 5 minutes after I starts the viewer even if I don't log in.
I had it running  in the period December 9. To December 22. Without crashing or freezing and that puzzles me.
In fact I was getting very fond of viewer 3.2.4.
I see no sign of a memory leak, the memory usage is constant about 2 Gigabytes out of 8

Does anybody have some ideas about where to look or what to do?
I would be most happy to get the problem fixed.

Have no idea, but I would try next things: 1. change cashe location, or even viewer install location; 2. manually clear sound cashe folder; 3. try running viewer on lower graphic settings to see if the same thing happens; 4. lower your bandwith reserved for the viewer, don' go over 3 MBits; 5. Try another viewer to check if the same thing will happen; 6. Run your operating systime file checker (on boot), or check if you have enough free hard drive space; 7. Run a virus check (I recomment Spybot or Bitdefender Online Scan)... hope something helps.

Sounds like it could be heat related to me. Most programs don't tax the CPU like the viewer does.

Make sure the computer is free of dust build-up, especially on the CPU and power supply fans.

You may be able to download a utility program that will report the CPU's temperature, which could help. You can also download and run various stress testing and benchmark programs. If the problem is one of cooling those types of programs will probably fail also.

Thanks for your bids! I didn't try it all but I have checked system files and tested for viruses.
I don't see that moving the cache and install location can possibly change the picture since I made a clean install.
The bandwidth is not in play because I doesn't have to log in and the computer is virtually idle when crash happens.
Another viewer remains to be tested
I am almost certain the error is between the viewer and the graphics driver because sometimes I get a "Lost connection to the graphics driver" in connection with the crash.
Most of the time I get a clean freeze where nothing moves, not even the mouse cursor and I have to cut the power supply:smileymad:

Anyway I am happy that you took the time to write, no stone should be unturned

Thank you for you suggestion!
It can not be overheating though:
I start the viewer but I don't log in.
When I monitor the processor load from start to crash I see 0% with a few peeks going as high as 3%

What you propose would be plausible on an old and too small laptop but not on a new properly dimensioned tabletop:smileyhappy:

Thank you again

Your talk about CPU overheating made me think about how it is with the GPU and I found this very useful tool for monitoring the GPU: TechPowerUp GPU-Z v0.5.7

With it i find a correlation between GPU temperature and GPU load and crashes
The temperature doesn't go higher than 65°C and I read somewhere on a Nvidia page that 90°C is acceptable, but the load goes to 100% in connection with a crash.

More details on the bugtrace VWR-25287

There was another thread, Can't log in, always freezes.   I was having the same problem and this is what I responded to the other thread. Although I don't know if it helped them.

The chance of you having the exact same problem is slim, but I thought I would at least put it out there for you. My PC was freezing up shortly after starting SL, all viewers, and the only thing that fixed it was replacing my mother board memory. The only reason I even replaced it was because my son had bought some memory that he did not use and it just happened that it was exactly what I needed. Memory is an easy replace and all my lockup problems went away.

I finally got my problem solved with help from the PC maker.
The maker recommended to recover factory settings, which include a clean windows install.
I did and it helped me:smileyhappy:

It is not fun to do it though, it takes time to make fresh back ups, recover the system and restore data.
I am shocked that windows 7 isn't more reliable, my PC is only 6 months old.

Luckily I didn't have to put in new memory like you Teagan:smileyvery-happy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4542 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.