land

raymmis11488303466

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Help! I'm confused,

I have a linden home in a themed neighborhood and wanting to keep this, i also would like to buy land on the

mainland and buy a house to put on it. Is the only way of getting this land be by an auction and i get it by making the

winning bid and pay that bid off, is there still some kind of regular sales price of the land i also have to pay, besides

the normal monthly land use fee (this fee i understand),and would the bonus 512 land that my linden home is on be

added to the monthly land use fee of the land i buy on the mainland???   (so for the long questions)

2 answers to this question

You can buy mainland at the auction OR you can buy it directly from the resident that currently owns it if they set the land for sale.  There is a lot of mainland available now and prices are pretty low except in certain highly desireable areas.

As far as your cost, if you buy at auction or from another resident, it is a one time purchase cost.  The auction cost of course being your winning bid for the land.  However the land will most likely be empty, so if you do not plan on building your own home, you will also have a cost associated with buying a house.  Frankly, I would recommend going to a place like the Freebee dungeon and finding a freebee home that you like to start with and then learn to build your own.  Buildings are really the easiest things to build in SL, IMHO which is why many pre-fab homes cost less than most of my clothes! :smileyvery-happy:

The best way to think about the 512sqm free land tier is that you get your first 512 free and pay for anything over that amount of land.  So your Linden Home consumes your free land tier since it is 512sqm of land.  If you buy a 512sqm parcel of mainland and keep your Linden Home, your monthly tier will be $5.  If you buy 512sqm and get rid of your Linden Home then your tier is back to zero.

--Cinn

• Like 1

Your Premium membership gives you two options.  You can have a free Linden Home, OR you can buy up to 512 square meters on the Mainland (either from another resident, or through a land auction), and not pay a recurring monthly tier on that land.  You can switch between these options at any time, by simply abandoning your Linden Home and then buying land elsewhere on the Mainland.

However, there is nothing that says you can't go ahead and keep your Linden Home, AND buy additional Mainland.  You don't get free tier on it, but you seem to understand that perfectly.

Most Mainland is sold directly by residents to other residents.  Open your Map, check "land for sale" in the legend, and look for yellow colored parcels.  Another good way to find land for sale is with Search.  You can set search criteria to limit results to Mainland parcels in the size or price range you are seeking. 

The other way to buy Mainland is through the land auctions on this site.  They are certainly worth watching, but far more land is sold by residents.  If you do bid in an auction and win, the land is yours.  No additional sales price is required, although you will have to pay the monthly tier fee on your new land.

When buying Mainland, check the parcel out carefully.  See what other builds your neighbors have.  Fly up into the sky and look for ugly skyboxes...and laggy establishments like clubs or Zyngo slot machine parlors.  If you are buying waterfront, note whether the waterfront is "protected" (the adjoining land is owned by "Governor Linden") or if it's owned by another resident who could block your water access.

I teach a class on SL land at Caledon Oxbridge University on Fridays, at 5 pm SL time.  You're welcome to attend.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.