Problem in Maya Autodesk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a couple of days with this Pac ... I think it's time to get help.

I'm trying to create a tent of 6 points, using a polyplane of 32x32, (same problem with NURBS, sphere, plane, and cylinder)

In maya. the sculpt seems great... but at hour of export...

See Image

The result in all cases is dreadful, or just get a flat sculpt.

Can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong?

I can't tell you what went wrong, but I can tell you where it possibly went wrong. It could be the sculpt exporter. The map shown in your edit window only has four colours, so you only get four points. I'm not that familiar with maya, let alone the possible exporters, but it might help if you post what you use for exporting your object. It might help to convert the plane to mesh before exporting, but I'm not sure about that.

Did you remember to delete history, and freeze & reset transformations before you exported the sculpt map?  Further, for best results, keep your model to a size where no two vertices are more than 10 units part.  The exporter was written while the old 10-meter prim size limit was still the rule.  I'm not sure it knows how to handle anything larger than 10 units.  Also, make sure there's no heirarchy in the scene.  The exporter doesn't understand groupings, parentings, etc.

By the way, just in case you didn't realize, the Maya sculpty exporter works best with NURBS. It can be pretty inaccurate with polygons, unless you take certain preventative measures with your modeling, which generally aren't worth the time.

• 3 weeks later...

After many headaches and testing... I've managed to progress with the sculpt... 

Snapshot_002.JPG

The big question now is... Is there any way to prevent the deformation of the sculpt during the import?

It's funny but it looks wrinkled, or distorted at the ends, especially in the point above, is not centered.

If you're using polygons, it's not going to be a 1:1 match.  The exporter was designed for NURBS.   It uses ray sampling to determine the surface shape, rather than vertex position reporting. 

You can increase the accuracy by tripling up the vertices at each point, but this is really a pain, and sooooo not worth the time, when you can just export the model as a mesh instead of a sculpty, and be done with it.  Another option is you can export the geometry to a program whose sculpty exporter does use vertex position reporting, like Blender, and generate the sculpt map from there.

If you're using NURBS, you'll have a much easier time getting a good match.  But needless to say, you'll have to know what you're doing as a NURBS modeler.  It's not the same thing as poly modeling.  Different rules apply.

For example, to create a sharp edge with NURBS, you need bring three isoparms to that edge.  To create a sharp point, you need at least three CV's in that same spot.  And before you generate the sculpt map, you MUST delete history, and freeze & reset transformations.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.