Mesh cost

Herpes Melodie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had a question regarding land impact with meshes.

I figured I could answer this question myself with testing and testing and testing, but I rather have a full explanation to make sure I understand everything properly, without confusion. I tried the wiki page as well, but couldn't find the answer to this specific question either.

Land impact of mesh X is decided by different factors (the highest value of download weight, physics weight or server weight) Now lets say mesh X has 0.200 on each factor. If I duplicate mesh X in-world and link both meshes to each other, they'd have 0.400 on each factor, right? 0.400 is below 1.00 thus these two meshes, linked, would result in 1 land impact. If these two would be duplicated again, I'd have 4x a 0.200 mesh, thus the linkset will have 0.800 on each factor, thus it will cost 1 prim.

Is this correct (it almost sounds too simple) or is there some mathemetic formula going on behind the screens?  

More or less right, except that the lowest possible server weight is 0.5. So you can never have more than two linked things for a LI of 1. The comparison of the costs for deciding which to use for LI is at the level of the linkset, not for each linked object. So it adds up the server weights, the download weights and the physics weights separately and then takes the highest of those sums and rounds it. This means, for example, that a few low download weight items can compensate for a higher weight one. More importantly, a few physics weights of zero (physics shape type None) can compensate for one higher weight.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.