Editing Mods (noob question)

RadioCatastrophe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I haven't used SL since I joined IMVU back in like 2004/2005 and this is my first time being back since then ._.

Anyways, wondering how to create, edit, etc items on SL. First off I'd like to edit this: deer mod and if there's any programs (other than editing programs) that I need please feel free to leave them. I've searched google a few times and found the SL wiki but it kinda confused me ._.;

Simple tutorials would be nice until I get the hang of it. P.S. sorry if this is in the wrong forum :c

Welcome back to SL. 

You need to learn how to use the basic tools in the edit box first.  Go to the Ivory Tower Library of Primitives where they have a self tutor that you can take at your own pace. This will teach you enough so that you can mod things as long as they aren't mesh.

Depending on what your looking to create, you will also need to learn about textures and scripts.  There are classes on this.  Most textures are done in Photoshop or GIMP which is a free program like photoshop.  You can take classes for these inworld.  Keep watch on the event schedule.  There are also some schools around SL that teach these skills as well as online tutors outside of second life.

For other than basic prims, you need sculpt maps or mesh items.  These things are sold in world for builders.  The wiki lists programs for these if you want to make your own..  The most sophisticated free one is Blender, but other programs such as Maya and 3D Max etc.can also be used. The Wiki gives you a list of them that will work, from very basic to very advanced programs.  Again, in world classes or on line tutors are how you can learn how to use these.

Finally there is a Creation Forum here where you can ask questions as well as a number of groups in world where you ask questions in group chat for the area of content creation they cover.

Unless you already bring 3D modeling and content creation experience to SL, don't expect to learn it all over night.  It can take quite a while to learn.  Even learning basic building and being able to turn out a basic house will take awhile and lots of practice.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.