What Nvidia Cards are supported other than what is listed for windows based system

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4570 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

HI, my system is 1 yr old it was custom built through HP. i had the Nvidia GT 220 installed before i had looked to see what was required. The cards taht are supported you cant find or at least i cant find them oh wait. BFG has the GTX 295 through Amazon.com wanting $400 brand new. what other cards are supported that they dont have listed.

The issues im having is severe lag which just started a few months ago and my vid drivers crashing, sometiems they recover and other times they wont and i get kicked out of sl, when that happens sometims i can get back into sl and other times i cant. 

Please help!, i have also raised my bandwidth to max as well as cache, and i have lowered my resolution for my monitor.  im still lagging  and my vid drivers are still crashing i need better card so if someone can please tell me what Nvidia cad witl work withoug downgrading i really would appreciate it

Jan

3 answers to this question

The 'supported cards' list is never up to date.  Don't waste time searching for an obsolete video card.

Any late model NVIDIA GeForce card (500 series, preferably) will work perfectly.  ATI cards will also work, but their reputation for supporting OpenGL is not as good as NVIDIA's.

Run your monitor at its native resolution.

Almost any nVidia card on the market today will run SL......same with AMD/ATI.  There are, of course, cards that are higher performing than others within any series.  Generally, the second number of the model for nVidia cards will give you the performance you can expect from the card.......the higher the second number the higher performing the card will be (I believe that holds true for AMD/ATI cards too).  The first number is the series and has little to do with performance.....it merely tells you the series (the higher numbers are newer series........and priced to reflect that new series).  You can generally ignore the first number (up to a point.......a very old series card will not be a good as a newer series (in my opinion, any series older than about 4 series back is getting into the cards that are not going to perform well on most modern graphics programs).  Look for a second number 5 or higher (mid-range for the series) for good performance in SL.  If you can find a video card in the 200 to 300 series with a second number higher than 5 at a price you can afford then get it.  As you saw, a 295 card can be pretty pricey because it's the top of the performance range of the 200 series (which is 3 series back from the current highest series.  I run an nVidia GTS 250 in my machine.........it's mid range in the 200 series and I can run SL with Ultra settings (but I do lag somewhat so I just keep my settings to high).  I paid about $175 USD a year and a half ago for the card.......you can probably pick one up (brand new) for $100 or less now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4570 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.