How do I mute a spammer?

RoderickVaughn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am getting spams every 10 minutes or so from a person I can't locate. I have tried an Abuse Report but I guess these things take time and in the meantime I'm still getting multiple spams off this idiot.

People tell me to mute him but I can't fiond out how to do that on the newest viewer. There is nothing in the profile that allows me to do that. I keep getting told that there are buttons on the profile or buttons on the IM window but there aren't. I just get "Offer teleport", "Call" "Map" "Share" Pay".

If I right-click an avatar I can see, I get Mute as an option in the right dropdown but how do I mute someoen who is not near me? Is there a way at all?

(PS I am using viewer 3.2.  Please don't answer for any other viewer because everything else seems to be very different from this one).

Valerie, none of your methods were any use because the spammer wasn;t near me, the avatar wasnt visible, it did not show on Nearby People and it was in IM, not in local nearby chat or voice. I did explain in my question that I was unable to see the avatar that was spamming me.

However Matty's methods worked. Thank you Matty.

2 answers to this question

There are two ways.

method 1 - If you have an IM window (which it seems you do) go there and hover over his name, you will get a little green "i" button. Click that

A window pops up with some buttons, one of which is a gear icon. Click that. Dropdown menu has Block in the list.

method 2 - In the People tab go to Nearby People. There is another gear icon in the bottom left. Click that and then click "show blocked objects/residents"

It will show you your block list, and there is a button at the bottom to add another person or object. Click that and type his name in the search box.

both these methods work for any V3/V2 viewer, as far as I can tell

How to block someone

There are several ways to mute voice chat inworld:

• Right-click on the avatar and choose Block
  • Select Communicate > NEARBY, right-click the person's name and choose Block/Unblock. A small red icon appears next to the name. 
  • Click the Chat button at the bottom of the Viewer window to open the NEARBY CHAT window, mouse over the Resident's name, click the small "i" icon, then click the gear icon and choose Block.
32px-KBnote.png Note: If you IM with, Pay Linden dollars to, or give inventory to someone you muted, that person is automatically unblocked. Chat history informs you of what's happened.
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.