User Generated Content

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's the charm of SL. Everything is made by the users, not LL.

And that's the charm of the forums -- all the content is generated by the users. Or it was until recently.  I would like to see the forums return to its role as a social networking and information service facilitated by LL but provided by residents. I would like to see a return to to user generated posts, not what seem like LL sponsored infomercials.

The forums lost their "charm."  There is certainly no "charm" left in the forums.  (if that's what you want to call it)

The forums have become a roost for a rather small circle of people who have all day to manipulate, flag, and influence outcomes to what would have (in the past) been very good discussions for very diverse people to participate in, without threat of harassment.

If you would like an example of the harassment - I can give you a link to another site where it occurs, based on comments that people make here.  ohhh wait,...my attorney tells me that you already have that link. 

Linden Lab might as well take over the forum and control it to coincide with their marketing efforts.

I sure as heck do not approve of them leaving it in the control of people who are bashing customers in other forums.  Particularly when they are using their SL names with SEO, trying to get extra hits for that crap site.  I probably won't be the last to consult with legal on that,

The forums lost their "charm."  There is certainly no "charm" left in the forums.  (if that's what you want to call it)

The forums have become a roost for a rather small circle of people who have all day to manipulate, flag, and influence outcomes to what would have (in the past) been very good discussions for very diverse people to participate in, without threat of harassment.

If you would like an example of the harassment - I can give you a link to another site where it occurs, based on comments that people make here.  ohhh wait,...my attorney tells me that you already have that link. 

Linden Lab might as well take over the forum and control it to coincide with their marketing efforts.

I sure as heck do not approve of them leaving it in the control of people who are bashing customers in other forums.  Particularly when they are using their SL names with SEO, trying to get extra hits for that crap site.  I probably won't be the last to consult with legal on that,

The "charm" of anything is what makes anything fun.  If it ain't charming, it ain't fun.  It happens in world too.........I see it all the time. 

What makes anyplace in SL charming?  It's a place where everyone seems to have fun, be it a club, a build, a place to live.  You see the charm in the textures, the music, the landscaping, the merchandise inside, or even the media playing some wall.  When a place becomes boring and unfun, it's no longer charming.  But, it's all personal........it may not hold the charm for you it once did but it can still be charming for others.  It's time to leave when that happens.........poisoning the atmosphere for others only makes it a little less charming for the people who still see and enjoy the charm.  Take a break......come back in a week, two weeks, a month.  You might have a whole new perspective and recapture all that you enjoyed before.

Forums aren't much different.  I see the change recently.  I found it rather silly but did it bother me much?  Not really.  It just changed a little in a directlon that I have little interest in.  It'll change again soon.......maybe for the better or maybe for the worse.  I'll only know if I'm around to find out.  I'm not real sure what the huge uproar is all about (though I think it has a lot to do with a recent unwilling departure of a good friend to many here).  Is that reason to poison the forum for everyone else?  Because you no longer find it charming?  Charming implies a certain level of unseriousness........that may be the root of it all.  This is a forum..........it can be fun (charming) if you make it fun (charming).  Or it can be serious (uncharming) if you make it serious (uncharming).

And just for the record I spoke to this person I believe the recent big problem revolves around in world the other evening (via IM).  Do I think the incident surrounding the departure was fair?  To be very honest, I just don't know.  I heard the person's side of the issue.  I know that I've had a minor issue myself.  I know what happened to the person.  I know what happened to me.  I'm not going to draw any conclusions.  I don't like the way it played out.......but I cannot effect any outcome by voicing my opinion beyond what I've already voiced (which is exactly what I retold in my IM exchange).  The person in question is now on my friend's list...........I hope we can remain friends for a long time and enjoy some of the "charm" of SL in world.  And "in world" is exactly the bottom line of why we are even here in the forums.  SL still holds charm for me and, in extension, the forums hold charm.

The "charm" of anything is what makes anything fun.  If it ain't charming, it ain't fun.  It happens in world too.........I see it all the time. 

What makes anyplace in SL charming?  It's a place where everyone seems to have fun, be it a club, a build, a place to live.  You see the charm in the textures, the music, the landscaping, the merchandise inside, or even the media playing some wall.  When a place becomes boring and unfun, it's no longer charming.  But, it's all personal........it may not hold the charm for you it once did but it can still be charming for others.  It's time to leave when that happens.........poisoning the atmosphere for others only makes it a little less charming for the people who still see and enjoy the charm.  Take a break......come back in a week, two weeks, a month.  You might have a whole new perspective and recapture all that you enjoyed before.

Forums aren't much different.  I see the change recently.  I found it rather silly but did it bother me much?  Not really.  It just changed a little in a directlon that I have little interest in.  It'll change again soon.......maybe for the better or maybe for the worse.  I'll only know if I'm around to find out.  I'm not real sure what the huge uproar is all about (though I think it has a lot to do with a recent unwilling departure of a good friend to many here).  Is that reason to poison the forum for everyone else?  Because you no longer find it charming?  Charming implies a certain level of unseriousness........that may be the root of it all.  This is a forum..........it can be fun (charming) if you make it fun (charming).  Or it can be serious (uncharming) if you make it serious (uncharming).

And just for the record I spoke to this person I believe the recent big problem revolves around in world the other evening (via IM).  Do I think the incident surrounding the departure was fair?  To be very honest, I just don't know.  I heard the person's side of the issue.  I know that I've had a minor issue myself.  I know what happened to the person.  I know what happened to me.  I'm not going to draw any conclusions.  I don't like the way it played out.......but I cannot effect any outcome by voicing my opinion beyond what I've already voiced (which is exactly what I retold in my IM exchange).  The person in question is now on my friend's list...........I hope we can remain friends for a long time and enjoy some of the "charm" of SL in world.  And "in world" is exactly the bottom line of why we are even here in the forums.  SL still holds charm for me and, in extension, the forums hold charm.

Bottom line..........if you are unhappy, why are you here?  To make others unhappy?  The OP made the comparison of content being the charm of SL........then equated the forums to that charm.  It wasn't my abstract thinking..........but I played on it.  If you can't understand a rant when you see one (even some soft peddled one with pretty words) then maybe you'll never see one. 

This thread is a rant..........plain and simple.  And so many of you state how you hate rants.  Come on, lets have some fun again.  It's just a forum.

Bottom line..........if you are unhappy, why are you here?  To make others unhappy?  The OP made the comparison of content being the charm of SL........then equated the forums to that charm.  It wasn't my abstract thinking..........but I played on it.  If you can't understand a rant when you see one (even some soft peddled one with pretty words) then maybe you'll never see one. 

This thread is a rant..........plain and simple.  And so many of you state how you hate rants.  Come on, lets have some fun again.  It's just a forum.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

yikes!  you addressed that to me?  I thought you addressed it to Pamela!

I love SL.  (except for a few merchant issues - but that's long story )

I hate that the forum became what it became.  I hate that. 

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

yikes!  you addressed that to me?  I thought you addressed it to Pamela!

I love SL.  (except for a few merchant issues - but that's long story )

I hate that the forum became what it became.  I hate that. 

Pamela Galli wrote:

And that's the charm of the forums -- all the content is generated by the users. Or it was until recently.  I would like to see the forums return to its role as a social networking and information service facilitated by LL but provided by residents. I would like to see a return to to user generated posts, not what seem like LL sponsored infomercials.

This is not a rant.  It is an expression of hope.  It is an opinion.  One may disagree with the opinion stated here but I would not categorize it as a rant, a tirade, or an angry expression.

I would like LL to share with us their objectives in creating the Vampire subforum, engage us.  It is their choice to run their forum as they see fit.  We have the choice to express our opinions. 

Pamela Galli wrote:

This is not a rant.  It is an expression of hope.  It is an opinion.  One may disagree with the opinion stated here but I would not categorize it as a rant, a tirade, or an angry expression.

I would like LL to share with us their objectives in creating the Vampire subforum, engage us.  It is their choice to run their forum as they see fit.  We have the choice to express our opinions. 

looks to me like they are trying to do some extra promotion.

I had hoped (yes, others have "hope" as well) that there might be promotion for artistic venues, art galleries, educational spots, non-profit organizations, travel type venues - you name it - vampires wasn't on the list.

Thing is, though, that the vampire craze is full swing.  If red velvet sofas were the bomb - I would be idiot not to make some.  So it's kinda common sense to go with the bomb.  Looks like they've got someone really aggressive and energetic to work with over - several in fact - wow - impressed.

not often do they promote - although not on personal wish list - it's a popular theme.

If that's what ya'll are in a huff about - asked a few questions, and no one seems to spell it out straight, but can get the gist of it a bit by reading.

as for user generated content - I saw some awesome photos from Flickr posted in that vampire forum - so not sure what the issue is there

ya'll have plenty of spots on the forum to control your topics - and control you do - congratulations on that - so not really sure what your problem is with featuring other segments.  Seems really silly unless part of the background story is missing - often the case

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.