um...Is it the viewer?

Sofiee Aiten

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The banding I see in the sky and water (and  little bit on the walkway) looks very much like a graphics card in the failing stage.  It might be related of heat or a driver so clean the inside of your computer case thoroughly.  Update your video driver.  If that doesn't fix it then start thinking of a replacement card........meanwhile lower all your graphics setting in your preferences to try to put less strain on the card.  I doubt the card will last much longer, I'm sorry to say.

if it happened the moment you you clicked on the option then it's more likely to be a faulty driver than a bad card (it could still be).... make sure your drivers are up to date. if it happens again doing exactly the same thing file a bug report, if it happens again doing something else, it's probably the card, and peggy's suggestions apply

If you're not seeing these oddities in your other programs (or even just at the desktop) it's more than likely not your video card. Are you seeing odd video glitches in other software or just SL? Do you see it in other games or apps that stress the video card?

What version of OS X are you running? Which viewer? MacBook or MacBook Pro?

The official LL viewer 3 has several known issues with Lion. You might want to try an older (2.7) LL viewer or a  third party viewer that's not based on v2/3 code (like Phoenix, Imprudence, Cool VL, etc). I'd recommend that before rolling back to Snow Leopard (if that's even possible depending on your hardware--if your MBP was built after July it has to run Lion).

Good luck and let us know what works (or doesn't).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.