Sign in to follow this  
Shelly Giles

I keep getting Socket operation timed out on my brower and search.

Question

This is just a stab at what I think the problem may be ......  I'm guessing that you do not normally use Microsoft's Internet Explorer as your browser, so log out of SL and try IE9 now.  Then log back in and see if your browser and Search work.  Whether the experiment works or not, you can go back to using your preferred browser then .  My guess is just that your viewer doesn't know how to find IE9 on your computer when it needs to, so this may take care of it.

5 answers to this question

This is just a stab at what I think the problem may be ......  I'm guessing that you do not normally use Microsoft's Internet Explorer as your browser, so log out of SL and try IE9 now.  Then log back in and see if your browser and Search work.  Whether the experiment works or not, you can go back to using your preferred browser then .  My guess is just that your viewer doesn't know how to find IE9 on your computer when it needs to, so this may take care of it.

There may be several possible solutions.  Your 'webkit' browser is crashing.

Ity jhas been reported that you can right click the slplugin.exe in the /program files for Second life and click "run in compatibility mode" for win 95.

Also, this has been known to be caused by Avira AntiVir WebGuard crashing the webkit viewer. Try turning off your anti-virus program, or use another anti-virus program.

Make sure that you have an updated version of both Flash and Quicktime.

For details,  see https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/EXP-912

• Like 1

I had the same problem. I checked my NORTON Anti-virus firewall settings. I found the SLplugin... and found that it was indeed blocked. I just unblocked it. I have no idea how this got blocked.